Carpet Tile in bathroom

Yes, I know; you're not supposed to use c.t. in bathroom.

But my old white vinyl tile is so beat up, and I can't afford to redo the whole floor, that I thought I'd take a desperate leap and install some carpet tile over it until things pick up. I know I'm not building for the ages just want it to look better.

This bathroom is small and well-ventilated. I would put sink and toilet rugs over the c.t. to protect high-traffic areas.

I have been on-line and looked at so many c.t.s that my head is swimming. Home Despot doesn't have a very attractive selection.

If I do this, should I opt for indoor/outdoor, or outdoor, or will indoor do it.

Any advice appreciated

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"not supposed to" is an understatement. People who put carpet in bathrooms (and kitchens) are out of their minds and should be institutionalized immediately.

Use self-stick vinyl "tiles" over the existing stuff. A friend of mine did that 5 years ago and it still looks good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't even like the throw rugs everyone seems to have in their bathrooms, and would not opt for carpet tiles in any case.

Men need to be taught to sit down when they pee, or the inevitable stains from standing up will look nasty on the rugs, not to mention, be unsanitary.

My personal preference for bathrooms is mosaic tile - easily scrubbed, and we just throw a bath towel on the floor to step out onto after bathing.

Okay - I know ... real men don't sit down.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Real men learn how to aim by the time they're maybe 6 years old."

It's not the aiming - I can write my name in the snow ... it's all that shaking when yer done - Heh.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

Use rugs for a bath you can take out and wash and dry, if its a rubber backing thet doesnt breath you will get water throught the seams and it will never dry , then the floor will mold, smell and rot. There are bath rug sets I think, pre cut.

Reply to
ransley

ull-3252.bay.webtv.net...

And learn to drink, not care and miss a bit later

Reply to
ransley

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I'd go instead with outdoor carpet in a solid sheet and cut outs where needed (not hard to do with the right *sharp* razor cutting tools).

This won't peel up in patches and you can literally take it outside and hose it off, scrub with a brush, whatever and let dry then bring it back in. It will not be damaged by a damp atmosphere and will not damage the floor under it. It also faster and easier to cut to fit, than sticking down the carpet tiles and not ending up with edges that show. They have some rather nice looking berber-ish types now. I'm looking at a tan and off white one for our bathroom where a toilet and tub replacement don't match the old tiles so edges show.

Same as you, don't want to spend much just right now and we already have a sunroom with this exterior carpet past 3 years with no issues. It's just rough laid down (cut to fit) and the edges don't curl up even in the one corner that gets wet in a hard rain. We've taken it up and washed it off in the yard 3 times now with no damage. Oh, and it cost less than the outdoor carpet tiles would have.

Reply to
cshenk

This is probably not a good idea.

There are special carpet tiles made for wet areas using waterproof materials and membranes. Those can work quite well if you want a carpet-like finish. But decent ones are quite expensive so that probably won't work for you.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I've read all the replies to this time. When we moved into this house, (new build 27 years ago), we were hard up for cash. I was aware of all the cautions about using carpet in the bathroom but needs must. I put down an offcut from our lounge that fitted fine after trimming.

We placed a "horseshoe" mat around the pan and also bath mat, etc. which are shoved in the washing machine, normally weekly.

Having reared two male kids in the house who I hope have now flown the nest permanently, (one came back for several years), I can confirm that there are no stains or odours. The last time I lifted the carpet about 18 months ago to repaint the skirting boards (sorry, I can't recall what you call these that side of The Pond), it was in perfect condition and the floor below was as laid.

I see no reason not to use carpet.

Reply to
Clot

Instead of tiles, have you considered a single piece, rubber backed rug made for bathrooms?

My parents have one in their house - have for years.

I know this because every 5 or so years Mom buys a new one and I have to cut it to fit.

I make a pattern from newspaper, flip it over, tape it to the rubber backed side, trace it and cut.

Mom (actually Dad, when Mom tells him too) takes it out a couple of times a year and washes it in one of those big machines at the laundromat and hangs it in the backyard to dry.

If SWMBO would let me have one, I'd put one in my bathrooms. It's soft and toasty on the feet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Heck, get a roll of black and white "tile effect" vinyl from Home Depot for 20 bucks and put that down. It'll look "OK", wear better than carpet and last a few years until you can do something more permanent.

I did that for one of our bathrooms because it had carpet in there when we moved in, and I'm planning on gutting that room when a few billion other jobs are out of the way first...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J O E) wrote in news:21636-4C757F28-81@storefull-

3252.bay.webtv.net:

ALL that shaking?! Errrrr, that's called jer...., ahem.

Reply to
Red Green

We had W2W carpeting in the master bath in our previous house. When we ripped it up after 15 years it wasn't too gross, likely because it was the master. It was cleaner than the family room carpet, actually. I still wouldn't have it again. Tile is too cheap and easy to put up with anything else.

Our W2W carpet was indoor. I'd count in replacing it every couple of years.

Reply to
krw

"J O E" wrote

I'm 62. Back when I was about 28 or so, I had the never ending fight about leaving the seat up or down. I left it up so I wouldn't pee on it at night, being the considerate human male that I am. My wife after falling in a few times, assaulted me on the rights and wrongs of leaving it up versus putting it down. It was an easy thing, I said, just check before you go, and it was the responsibility of that person. Case closed.

Then, old age crept in ahead of time. I walked into the dark bathroom one night, 2/3 asleep, and sat down on the throne that I had left the seat up on. Well, that extra 8" of freefall is enough to wake you up, if not the cold water spritz at the end. Hoo, boy, wide awake in 2/3 of a second.

I got it.

I never stand up now, as I would pee all over the place in the dark like a blind dog. If I turned on the light, I would be blinded for two to three minutes. I sit down when I go in the middle of the night, both because of advancing age, poor eyesight, being sleepy from medications I take, and I have this ritual of grabbing the sink in exactly the right spot that when I do sit down, I hit the bullseye reasonably close.

Funny how one's attitude and a lifelong behavior can change in 2/3 of a second.

She finally trained me to leave the lid down. Boy, I used to get some good belly laughs when she fell in. She nearly went hysterical when I did it, though.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Yabbut, the bigger the hose the bigger the mess. And after a few beers, or a few too many, aiming isn't anything high on the list of priorities.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Just take out the old tile and replace. Carpet is cheaper than tile?

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Thanks, amigo, to you and the others who suggested a solid sheet of (outdoor) carpet. Makes a LOT of sense! I will start looking for a remainder; that Berber does sound nice. I can't say much for my pattern-making ability, but I have a smart neighbor who would help me.

***NEW QUESTION:*** My sink is set into a Salvation Army vanity table. Will it disrupt the plumbing if I lift the 4 legs up just enuff to slide in the carpet? I'd rather do that than cut around each leg.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

=3D=3D

Some legs have adjustable screw in/out tips. If so, just screw them in, put in the carpet and screw them out again.

=3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Alas, this is an antique, so doesn't have adjustable tips.

There are four legs in front -- two on each side -- and two plain ones in back.

I was thinking to cut off an small equal amount from each leg -- enough to pass the carpet through -- and then try to shove in some kind of metal or plastic base so they don't mar the carpet.

Is this too weird? Alternative suggestion?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson