Carpet Tape

I used two-sided carpet tape to hold a small, fire-proof rug in front of th e wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, most of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wall carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without dama ging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

Have you tried goo-gone or goof-off ? The problem is that anything that softens the adhesive may leave you with a sticky residue on the carpet . Maybe you can try chilling it with ice and cracking it off ?
--
Snag

Goop or Gojo hand cleaner, or similar...... Work it in well. It wont harm the carpeting, but you'll need to clean it off after with some soap and water.
(I'd use the non-abrasive type).
Oren posted for all of us...

The tongue tickles and then she moans and the relatives come and watch.
--
Tekkie

Or, just apply single-sided tape over the residue of the old double-sided tape.
Naptha from your local hardware store
On 3/23/16 7:50 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

Besides your wife, who cares if there's little goo on the BOTTOM of a carpet;-)
--
If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him,
is he still wrong?
On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:50:56 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

the wood stove in the living room. When I removed the rug the other day, mo st of the tape came up easily but some is firmly attached to the wall-to-wa ll carpet below. Any ideas on how to loosen the tape for removal without da maging the carpet? Maybe just soap and water?

When I gotten Christmas Tree sap or other sticky stuff on a carpet, I've used Goo-Gone and a fork. After letting the Goo-Gone work for a little while, you can *gently* use the fork (or any other pointy tool) to separate the carpet strains so that the Goo-Gone can work its way all around the fibers.
A fork also works to lift the strains that get crushed by furniture.