Carpet Replacement

I'm looking to replace a very old and worn wall-to-wall indoor carpet in my home. Time and a good number of cats and dogs have taken toll on the carpet.

What is perhaps the most durable solid floor covering to use given the activity of pets within the house? I've been leaning toward a thin, concrete covering; one particular contractor out here has done some pretty interesting work re: dying and texturing as well as smoothing over and sealing. But he's only been offering that service for a few years so no real track record. Other alternatives that have been tossed up is ceramic (seems like that may scratch up rather quickly) as well as stone/slate. I have one fairly large living room (about

1200 sq ft) plus a long hallway for initial consideration. These areas are atop crawlspace with what appears to be 3/4 in + 1/2 in ply underlay. All of this on 3 x 2x12's. I'm thinking of keeping carpeting in the other rooms.

appreciate any and all, thanks

Reply to
Monroe

That is a large living room; just 553 sq ft shy of my house.

-- Oren

"I don't mind coming to work, but that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch!"

Reply to
Oren

By all means, go with the concrete flooring. You will love it and your floor will be the talk of the neighborhood.

No other flooring comes near the WOW factor.

Reply to
Deke

A diamond will scratch ceramic (as in ceramic tile); not much else will.

If you go with the concrete and, after a few years it discolors or cracks, you can cover it with vinyl or carpet.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why not just keep the pets in the garage, basement, or backyard?

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a friend with two dogs that aren't consistent in their habits. When she got new carpet, she had installer put in a waterproof barrier between carpet and pad. Carpet is pretty easy to clean; it is padding and subfloor that will soak up bad odors. If they relieve themselves all over the floor, solid vinyl would probably be best. Tile grout would be stained.

Reply to
Norminn