Carpet Repair

The stairs in my home are covered in carpet. On the landing, my cat has pulled the carpet fibers out, leaving a nice 3 inch by 3 inch bare spot. I do have a remnant of carpet from when it was installed 4 years ago. There may be a slight color difference; carpet that has never seen the light of day vs carpet that is in a highly trafficked area.

I'd like to cut out the bare spot and replace it with a section from the remnant. Any suggestions on repairing this? How do I make sure the cat doesn't pull the patch up; he's pretty strong? I'll be selling the house within 1 year and this is the only trouble spot in regards to the carpet.

Thanx

Reply to
PV

PV:

P > The stairs in my home are covered in carpet. On the landing, my cat P > has pulled the carpet fibers out, leaving a nice 3 inch by 3 inch bare P > spot. I do have a remnant of carpet from when it was installed 4 P > years ago. There may be a slight color difference; carpet that has P > never seen the light of day vs carpet that is in a highly trafficked P > area. P > P > I'd like to cut out the bare spot and replace it with a section from P > the remnant. Any suggestions on repairing this? How do I make sure P > the cat doesn't pull the patch up; he's pretty strong? I'll be P > selling the house within 1 year and this is the only trouble spot in P > regards to the carpet.

I would be inclined to replace the entire landing with the remnant, rather than just the 3x3" damaged area. As you indicated, the new carpet will be a somewhat different colour than the old because of fading and wear. There is also fiber orientation: carpet will look darker (or lighter!) one way than the other. Not to mention it's probably going to be a lot easier to hold in a big piece than a small piece. Be sure to do over the stair edge and tack underneath.

  • RAISIN: Grape with a sunburn.
Reply to
barry martin

Unfortunately the remnant is not large enough to replace the whole landing.

Thanks

Reply to
PV

"PV" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

This tip is given assuming you have carpeting with some sort of backing fiber, the standard cut pile nylon or olefin, and not a mass-woven carpet like berber.

First, go to your local carpet store, or dumpster-dive around some new construction sites, and see if you can mooch a couple feet of carpet seam tape. It usually looks like a roll of brown paper, about 6" wide, with 4" of fibers and glue appled to one side and a 1" paper border.

With a strong sharp knife, using a sawing motion rather than a slicing motion, cut out the damaged area, so you ensure you have intact 'healthy' carpet right to the edge of the cut. (Do not cut through the padding). Take the remnant, and set it on the floor next to the hole. turn and align the remnant so the 'grain' is aligned with the rest of the rug. (If you slide your hand over the carpet one way, it will appear light, slide it the other way, it appears darker). Cut the patch out, the same size as the damaged piece you cut out. (Tip, carpeting is much easier to cut from the back, but make sure you face it correctly, otherwise your patch will be a backwards mirror-image of the hole). It can be slightly smaller than the hole, but it should be close. Tear the carpet tape so it extends at least 2-3" larger than the hole. Place the pieces of tape under the carpeting parrallel, (||)not crossways(+). Tear the paper border off of one side of the second piece, so you have an uninterrupted surface of glue under the patch. Put the new patch in place. Get an old hand towel and a clothes iron. Soak the towel in water, wring it so it is wet, but not dripping. Fold it in half, and lay it across the patch. Set the iron on High (Not on the steam setting), and once heated, place it on top of the towel. Let it sit about a minute. (Watch for steam...if it stops steaming, you are going to start melting the carpet..this would be bad) Re-wet the towel and shift it and the iron as needed to ensure heat is applied to melt the glue and bond the entire area of the tape under the patch to the carpet. >Let it cool 10 minutes before tugging to see if the glue has set.< Your patch should be good, and you will have saved about 50.00 for a carpet repair.

Mike

Reply to
AlienZen

Thank you. I will try that. Sounds easy enough.

Reply to
PV