Carpet Rating

Can someone suggest a site that rates carpet? I have gone to consumer reports and I can not find where they do carpets?
Thanks.
--
IC

I work for one of the major manufacturers and am unaware of anything like what you're looking for. One of the strategies in the carpet business is to offer the same product under multiple brands or style names. This prevents the consumer from being able to make a comparison between product "A" at two different stores. In fact, both stores may carry many of the same products, but they are disguised under different names. Don't blame me, I'm in engineering, not marketing.
What I would suggest would be to compare three things:
1) Fiber type - Choose the fiber type you want. Nylon 6 and Nylon 6.6 are both excellent all around performers from a wear and staining perspective. Polypropylene is outstanding from a spill/stain perspective, but crushes more easily.
2) Fiber amount, twist, and density. More of each is better. A dense product (i.e. a lower, tighter tufted product) holds up better, as does a product with yarn that has a higher twist level. More yarn gives you more density for a given pile height.
3) Warranty. Manufacturers warranty different products differently. Some products (i.e. products for starter homes or apartments) are not expected to hold up well, and don't come with much of a warranty. Better products, ones designed to hold up well, do come with decent warranties.
KB
great info kyle thanks!
--

"Kyle Boatright" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:R9-dnVb snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
Last time Consumer Reports rated carpeting they said that retailers have density figures but only Home Depot makes them available to the buying public. Don't know if that is still true. Also the only warranty that counts is an appearance warranty. We upgraded our house to Shaw carpet with a 5 year appearance warranty. It is about 8 years old and still looks ok.

I was just out shopping for a very specific patterned carpet by Shaw.
At Lowe's $2.50 sq ft. At Home Depot Expo store $3.50 sq ft At Carpet One (independent retailer) $4.50 sq. ft.
Now the gentleman at Carpet One who was the most knowledgeable (or the best BS'er <g>) claimed that Lowe's/Home Depot are selling an inferior product, even though they are all Shaw (with different style names), with the same pattern, and to my eye, look identical... Not sure what to beleive here... Would Shaw make a cheaper product on the production line for the big box stores and something better for the "real" carpet stores?
-- Paul

Yes. But the guy saying his is better should be able to show you why his is better.