Carpet question (math involved)

If i have a 13x14 room. Assuming I can only track down 12' wide remnants. What is the dimension of the remnant I would need to finish the room?

Plush carpet, no pattern.

Obviously, there will be a seam but how much extra do I need to account for the seam to make sure the carpet runs the same direction.

C_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Yeah, I trying to get the pile to lay the right way. (if you are trying to do things right, it's never easy)

Reply to
c_kubie

finish

account

I think you really want to ask which way should you run the carpeting to minimize waste and thereby expense. If you run it the long way you'll need two pieces 14' long - the short way, two pieces 13' long.

28' vs. 26' (allow extra for cutting either way).

You might get lucky with the remnants in a carpet that you like. If so ask if they have matching remnants for stair runners - that's how the long narrower pieces are usually used.

RicodJour

Yeah, I guess I might have to either buy fresh carpet on a 15' roll. This way i can get 15'x13'

The place always has remnants for $0.95/sq ft. And its pretty decent quality.

Thanks for the info

C_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Some places would charge you for two 12 x 13 ft rolls if you're ordering new carpet, the second roll for the 2x13 strip. Wouldn't make sense to order two 14ft rolls to cut a 1x14 strip, wastes more carpet.

Put the narrow strip against a bed wall or where you plan on putting any large furniture.

Reply to
sleepdog

Most carpet makers provide 13' wide rolls.

Reply to
PhotoMan

Depends on which way you lay the carpet and that depends on how the pile lay looks relative to light.

If the pile appearance doesn't matter to you and you lay 12' wide the long way, you need a piece 1' x 14' to cover all. If laid the short way, you'd need another piece 2' x 13'. No math involved necessarily.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

You really need to provide more information about what you would consider as an acceptable finished product. You have implied that all carpet "grain" running in the same direction is one such requirement.

Do you have limitations or preferences on seam location? Do you want to minimize the number of seams? What is the maximum number of seams that you will accept? Why are you limiting your options to carpet which is produced in 12' widths? Etc.

Basic math would say that you are going have the following minimum carpet requirements if you purchase 12' carpet:

- A main piece 14' x 12'

- A second piece at least 2' x 12', assuming that the carpet cannot be purchased in fractions of a foot. This could be installed with one long seam (14') and one short seam (1'). But the carpet would not "run the same direction" for all pieces. Total carpet size is 192 sq. ft.

To have all of the carpet running the same direction and to use 12' wide carpet requires:

- A main piece 13' x 12''

- A second piece 7' x 12', from which two piece would be cut, both 2' x 7 1/2' This also has 2 splices, one 13' long and the other 2' long. Carpet waste would be very high and total purchased carpet size is 240 sq. ft.

I would never consider covering a 13' x 14' room with 12' wide carpet. One piece of 15' wide carpet that is 13' long gives you no seams. It requires 195 sq. ft. of carpet, just a bit more than the 192 sq. ft. for the first situation above. You get a better installation and pay for the same basic amount of carpet. And in five years you won't be seeing the seam area "opening up" and revealing itself if there is any traffic over it.

Good luck, Gideon

============================

Plush carpet, no pattern.

Obviously, there will be a seam but how much extra do I need to account for the seam to make sure the carpet runs the same direction.

C_kubie

Reply to
Gideon

Find a way to get 13'6" carpet. It isn't that rare, and you'll spend far less money than buying enough 12' material to create just one seam. Also, the room will look better without a big seam.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

If you only want one seam, then you need 26 feet of carpet.

Reply to
jeffc

It was so much easier back when my parents got their first carpet installed and most of the mills only produced 3' wide carpet. You learned to live with many seams.

Plush carpet, no pattern.

Obviously, there will be a seam but how much extra do I need to account for the seam to make sure the carpet runs the same direction.

C_kubie

Reply to
Gideon

finish

account

It depends on how many pieces you are willing to use for the fill. For example: 13'3" for the main piece (the extra 3" is needed if you are stretching in the carpet over pad), leaves you with a fill piece needed after trimming for the seam of 2' 6" x 13' 3". If you can live with a 3 piece fill (I don't know what your room looks like) you can use a 12' x 4' 6" piece cut into 3 pieces leaving with a balance piece of 4'6" x 4' 6". If a 2 piece fill makes more sense in your room, use a 12 x 6' 9". If you really want to cut the yardage down you can use a 4 piece fill,

12' x 3' 6". I wouldn't do this unless it was absolutely necessary. In short: 12 x 17' 9" for a 3 piece fill. 12 x 20' for a 2 piece fill. 12 x 16' 9" for a 4 piece fill.

Willie

---- Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

Reply to
willie