Carpet Question

I have been shopping for new carpet. I found some that looks really good and the price is good. It's made by Shaw carpet but .... it's nylon made by Shaw, and treated with R2X. This is something developed by Shaw. I think it's been out about two years and I can't find anyone who has actually bought and lived with it.

I have always used DuPont StainMaster. The warranties are about the same but the Shaw is on sale for a little less.

If anyone has had experience with it please tell me about it. Couldn't find anything about it in Consumer Reports and that's the only outfit I know of that tests carpets.

Thanks.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

Consumrer's reports hasn't looked at carpet for a longtime. Last time I remember, they thought that stainmaster treatment wasn't a big deal since all carpets shed spots stains pretty well. I have a Shaw carpet with no special name brand treatment and my cat has tested it several times for me over the last 7 years and it is quite cleanable even though a very light color. Especaially with the new Oxi spot cleaner from Woolite. Even so, if I remember correctly, Consumer Reports found Shaw brand carpets to be relative low value because of the yarn density per dollar. They recommended buying where the retailer gives you the figures which are indeed available from the manufacturer but normally not disclosed by the store except Sears and Home Depot used to give the numbers out.

Reply to
Art

When I built my farm house 20 years ago I planned to have carpet. We changed our mind when we saw the mud problem and put down tile & linoleum instead. Now the tile is breaking up because it was laid on particle board (BIG mistake) and something has to be done. By now the mud problem is a lot less and the kids are gone so we are re-thinking carpet.

Question; can the carpet be put over the broken tiles or do they have to be removed (big job) or can we use some filler to level the floor. We tried some kind of floor leveler many years ago but most of it has cracked and broken out probably due to chairs rolling over it.

What is the best way to fix the problem?

Reply to
Nick Hull

by breaking up do you mean there are lose peices and areas that the tile is actually coming up? If so, you for sure are going to have to remove it,and level what's left. It doesn't take much under carpet to begin showing a wear spot.

One thought rather than removing it - if you can stand the extra floor height, simply place underlayment on top of the tile and lay the carpet over that. If the tile is coming up you're probably going to want to nail the underlayment down rather than gluing.

Reply to
mwlogs

Yes, there are pieces that broke away, mainly strips about an inch wide at the underlayment joints.

There would be a problem with the extra height at the doors. There is enough height availiable to put down carpet or floating hardwood composite but not much else.

Reply to
Nick Hull