Carpet installation

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

First, you could watch for them to show up, then when they are installing the carpet, make sure they put the fuzzy side up.........
Red apparently has had some experience dealing with other redneck "professionals". "Fuzzy side up"...cute!
wrote

the
Joe Fabeitz wrote:

I guess I will stop asking questions on this site. All I get are childish replies. Good bye...
Chuck B. wrote:

Ask a silly question and you get a silly answer. Unless you know how to install carpet, the only thing you would be knowledgeable about, and could watch out for, is whether the carpet is installed upside down. Oh, and maybe if they are installing the wrong color in the room. Here's some real things to watch out for: Make sure they install nailing strips along the wall and make sure the little spikes are angled to the wall. Make sure that they use a knee kicker or stretcher to get the carpet tight. Make sure they do a good job on any seams, so they are invisible. Ask questions if you like, but only of the boss. Unless you know a few Latin American languages, you probably couldn't communicate with the workers.
willshak wrote:

Thank you. I do know spanish and was able to communicate with the tile installation crew from Peru. I was also able to point out a few mistakes they were about to make. for ex. the floor was not level and they hadn't noticed it. The grout was not sealed properly so they did it again until I passed it as acceptable. So, some knowledge of the job does seem to keep them on their toes. Nuff said..
Chuck B. wrote:

Unless you know how to install carpets, the best thing you could watch is the TV.
Chuck B. wrote:

Hi, Most important thing with carpet is GOOD underlay. Hope you took care of that part. I always choose best underlay with less expensive carpet. Not the other way around. Tony

Yes Tony,
A good point. We recently removed damaged carpets due to flooding. The underlay was paper thin.
I will get the thickest padding possible on the next install.
CK
The installers have to take down your doors. The ones who did my carpet installation worked very fast and when they put the doors back they got some of them in the wrong place. We have those bi-fold louvered closet doors and they mix/matched some. It was a mess getting them put back right after they left. We didn't realize what had happened until too late.
Dorot29701 wrote:

Carpet installation is done. Two very good installers did 4 rooms in 5 hours. They moved all furniture and even put carpet in a walk-in closet that I hadn't planned on doing. (they had enough left over.) They vacuumed when finished and left everything in it's place. I have no complaints. Thanks to all for the helpful advice given. I was able to watch the whole job and no mistakes were made.
Chuck:
CB> I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of CB> the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and CB> also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.
The flooring under the pad should be smooth else could create bumps. The application of the pad itself doesn't matter too much: a bit of a gap at the seams is OK (no more than 1/8"); orientation of the pad doesn't matter.
The carpet, if seamed, does need to have the orientation correct. if done wrong you will see a colour difference as the carpet fibers are going in different directions. If the carpet is thick enough you can go without the metal transition bar -- and it looks a lot nicer.
Be sure the carpet is what you ordered! We went with a national carpet store and twice were given the wrong carpet. First time was my fault: I'm colour blind and the carpet was the right pattern, just a few shades darker than the roll in the store we selected. Second one (a year or two later) was supposed to have 'sparkles' in it but didn't. It was cloudy on the install day, which may have been why both of us missed it. (The installation was perfect, just the wrong carpet.) That store no longer is getting any of our business!
I should also add the first several times you vacuum your new carpet a lot of loose fibers will be sucked up -- this is normal. In fact it would be a good idea to pick up a new package of vac bags.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* I put my schedule in my back pocket. Guess that's why I'm behind.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
barry martin wrote:

Thank you. All very good info. I will be watching.

You've got to expect that the crew knows how to do the job. But be sure they do all that your paying for. The flooring merchants around here seem to subcontract the installation. If the crews can do three jobs in a day instead of two it's money in their pockets. I've generally had good results but the last time was an exception.
That was for vinyl flooring in a kitchen-dining area. I had contracted for removal of two previous layers of flooring and removal and replacement of washer, dryer and refrigerator. The crew was going to floor over the old stuff and around the appliances. Fortunately, I was there and forestalled an irremediable mistake.
I'm not suggesting this is typical but it may suggest a type of thing you could be alert for
SJF wrote:

Thank you for the tips.
Whew! Good recovery guys. For a moment there, I thought we'd lost him.

seem
day
results
for
of
old
forestalled
you
1. Ask the dealer about the installer. Try and get one with the most experience. Don't go into it thinking you have no choice.
2. Crank up your home's heat. Carpet should not be installed cold. Often times the roll of carpet is very cold and if it's installed immediately then it'll need to be restretched very quickly.
3. Ask the installer about any seaming. Most try and locate the seam in the least obvious/least traffic location but not always. Sometimes it's wise to even spring for some extra yardage if it'll reduce/eliminate seams.
4. Be nice to the crew and it's likely they'll try and do their best work.
5. Save some of the scrap. You might need it some day.
Carpet laying looks easy but it's hard work