Carpet has a wave bump now?

I bought my house brand new a couple of years ago and now i have several areas in my den, living room, and parts of my master bedroom)have bumps or wave-like lines in my carpet. I tried placing a Yellow Page book on top of it for like a day or so, but it won't stay down. What happened here? How do i smooth it out? Here is a pic. Thanks.

zcarenow

You need to have a carpet installer come out and stretch the carpet. Check the yellow pages or newspaper. Lots of guys will do small jobs like that.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

This indicates that the house is twisting, which is almost certainly bcause the earth below it is twisting. Your city is due for an earthquake, and it's good that you have this early warning.

Either that or what Charlie said, and he's a lot smarter than I am.

I'm sure he's right about ways to find a guy who will do it also, but I wonder if you call the original carpet company, if they'll do if for less. I"m curious how this works. The original owner here hired the guys who did the carpet and kitchen floors, but I guess he bought the house before it was finished. Other times, I guess the builder/developer arranges for carpets, but even then, I'd ask him who did the work. That way the guy might do it for you for cheaper, or you'll know who not to hire when your parents need carpeting.

Reply to
mm

Strange that this would happen to a relatively new house. Before i bought this house, i lived in a 20yr old house for like 11 yrs and not once did the carpet do this. I'm going to ask the builder to get this corrected since they obviously didn't do a good job of stretching this. Either that or i should send the bill to the builder. I'm not too happy right now. Thanks for info.

Reply to
zcarenow

Once thing for sure. I'm not going to recommend this builder to any of my friends or family if they decide to buy a new house in the future. My mother also noticed some small cracks in the bathroom sink. Damn!!

On Jun 23, 9:55 pm, mm wrote: That way the guy might do it for you for cheaper, or

Reply to
zcarenow

The builder might have chosen a cheap carpet guy on purpose, but the uncertainly about this would just pique my interest all the more, to talk to the carpet guy and see what he'll do for you, and for how much.

If the builder installed the carpet, you don't have privity of contract with the carpet guy. You don't have a legal relationship with him, but that doesn't mean he won't want your good will (if he's still in business, that is.)

There are actually cracks IN the sink? What is the sink made of?

Reply to
mm

I wrote my answer before reading your answer to Charlie. Not that I have more to say now.

Reply to
mm

Actually, I'd expect it to be more likely to happen in a newer installation rather than an older one. The new carpet stretches... the old one has stretched as far as it can and won't any more. Make sense?

This isn't all that uncommon and it's not hard to fix. Just get some carpet guys to come out and restretch it. The next time ought to be the charm.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sorry, i'm not too familiar with sink materials, but i've captured some pics. My photography isn't all that either. That's why i took several pics with and without flash. One with flash and bathroom light on. I wanted for you to see the cracks not just close to the drain, but you can see it spread out further though not too noticeable in pics. In person, much more noticeable. I know it can't be made of porcelain, but some cheap material obviously. Any comments? Thanks again.

zcarenow

Ok. Sounds logical.

Reply to
zcarenow

Pictures 2 and 3 show well for me, and picture zero is essential for understanding what is shown. It's exacty exposure doesn't matter. One picture, 1 I think, was too dark to see much.

I think this is called artificial marble, even if it is all white, no "marbling". Maybe it's called something else. Eitehr way, I don't know anything about it.

Reply to
mm

Think you can get the carpet restretched for a few bucks.

tom @

Just Joshin

Those are stress cracks and they are usually caused by overtightening the drain.

I don't know if they will get worse, but they shouldn't be there in the first place.

G to this site and scroll down to the very last item.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Did that myself to a bathroom vanity sink maybe 12 years ago. Took a couple years to crack but hasn't changed size in 10 years now. But that is unspeakable in a new install by so called pros.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I will have to talk to the builder to see who they hired to do the bathroom sinks. Don't know if warranty ran out, but if they can loosen this drain, maybe it will help at least. Thanks for the info.

item.http://www.nhmarble.com/faq.html>

Reply to
zcarenow