Carpet dealers?

Page 2 of 2

What, precisely, is a "jack-leg installer".
Sure, my younger-than-me landlord hadda knee kicker and installed new front-room carpeting, for me, but I failed to notice if he had any kind of leg infirmity. Yeah, the carpet evententually became loose and had "rolls", but I can't kick. He came thru when I asked and it didn't cost me a cent. ;)
nb
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 3:09:17 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

jack·leg ˈjakleɡ/ noun US informal noun: jackleg; plural noun: jacklegs
an incompetent, unskillful, or dishonest person. "a jackleg carpenter"

The installer is the one to look for in the quality department.
I have not had any carpet installed in a while,but did have some laminate flooring installed by Lowes. Two Mexicans showed up and were in and out in a couple of hours layind down about 300 sqft in a room. The job looked good and a year later still looks the same. I would hire tham again if I needed any more installed. They even layed a streight edge across parts of the floor and planed down a couple of high spots.
A few years before I went to a place that only deals with flooring and the install job in another part of the house looked ok when done,but shortly after it had a few places where it had buckled somewhat. Also had a room of carpet installed and was not happy with that either after a year or two. This was two of the local men that did that job. Did not think of them when I wanted the second area done.