carpet cutting

Is there a carpet cutter (electric or batteries) that will do the following? I want to remove carpeting in a house, and want to cut it up into smaller pieces re ease of handling and lifting. I can use a box cutter or such, but thought that something in the powered mode would be faster and easier on my back. Patt.

Good, strong razor knife goes thru carpet real slick.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

but
my
I agree... Assuming that it's a jute-backed carpet flip it over and run the blade down the back. It will separate quite easily.
Peter H

and make sure you have a large quantity of blades too........... No sense spending the extra energy trying to cut wit a dull blade. Change blades often. You'll know when you need a new blade and don;t go thinking you're goin' broke on blades. I would think it'd take no more than 10 dollars worth of new blades to cut an entire housefull of carpet into 1 foot squares if that's your fancy.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
RSMEINER wrote:

I agree. Cut from the back side and not toward yourself. Goes quickly with a nice sharp knife.
041107 1640 - RSMEINER posted:

Yes, the razor knife, or box cutter, also has several blades in the storage handle. The original blade can be touched up on a stone with just a couple of passes too. Could last a long time that way. Most carpet installers use these knives.
Don't use a box cutter. Get a real carpet knife and a pack of blades. ($5-$10 max.)
It's much stronger and will work great on heavy carpet.