Carpet Crease Problem

My house is about several years old, the carpet was done by the builder. Recently I noticed that there is crease on the carpet in the middle of the room, a long crease all the way from one side to the other. It become more visible day by day. What caused that? How and what are the tips to fix it?

Help...

Reply to
Zean Smith

Possibly you moved some furniture in there, causing crease? Perhaps weave relaxed a little over time. Probably not stretched enough in installation, though. I think you're going to have to re-kick it, either hire a pro or diy. You can rent tool at HD, I believe. Try to see which direction(s) it needs to be stretched. You may have to pull off baseboards where you are going to lift carpet off tack strips (probably at 3 sides of room), but first try to see if you can lift it w/o doing so. I believe you start kicking from the center to pull out crease, then work toward ends- better ask about that, though. You may have to recut once crease is pulled out- use very sharp strong blade- push straight-edge in fold at baseboard, cut leaving enough to tuck under baseboard. Don't cut too much! Can be easier if you do pull off baseboards- you'll be cutting at wall. Forgot to say push back on to tack strips using board or some object- not your hand(ouch!).

Reply to
Sev

Possibly a taped or sewn splice in the carpet. Restretching may fix it.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

You will probably need to re-stretch the carpet. Unless the room is small I would not use a kicker but rent a power stretcher. Not that hard to do.

Reply to
noname87

A good carpet, properly stretched and installed will never develop a crease. Well almost never, the walls could move inward and cause a crease.

Seriously, the carpet was not properly stretched or it is poor carpet. You can try stretching it a bit more; stretch at right angles to the length of the crease. But, stretch only a little and very carefully as you may simply rip the carpet if the quality is poor or the carpet backing has been damaged in some way.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Zean,

I have done carpet for a couple of years and learned from a pro. It is NOT that unusual for carpet to need restretching. However, you can't do it with a kicker, you will need a power stretcher. The stretch will need to be made in the opposite direction of the bulge. That will create one more problem for a special needed tool. When you stretch there will be some excess on the wall you stretch to. A special cutter will cut that just right so it can be tucked behind the tack strip just right. Don't worry about tearing the carpet when you stretch it. Two things will happen before the carpet can tear. You can over do it and pull it off the tack strips or you can pull apart of seam (bad news). Since this requires special tools you might want to consider getting someone else to do it. But, these tools can be rented. A power stretcher, wall edge cutter, and a tucker tool is all that is needed.

Zean Smith wrote:

Reply to
Joey