Carpenter's glue

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something? I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?
on 9/3/2007 3:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

He said the "wooden" clamps.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I wonder if the glue might also ooze onto the "something" that he's gluing.
on 9/4/2007 10:02 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

He's probably not worried about that, since he only specifically mentioned the clamps.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I'm suspecting he hadn't thought of it specifically and is somewhat unexperienced...as someone else noted, the clamp in the location where squeezeout would be expected doesn't sound like clamping in the right location as well as excessive glue besides...

Unrevealed Source wrote:

Yep, quite nicely...
A good waxing of the clamps will work as well.
But, I'd work hard to try to eliminate/minimize squeeze out from a place I'm clamping as a matter of practice if at all practical...
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:09:41 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"

A damp cloth and a wipe up! Have one handy, before you start.

Oren
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:09:41 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"

You can wax your clamps before using them. Any wax will do, furniture bees or car wax. Or, consider applying a coat of varnish or polyurethane to the wooden clamps. Don't go overboard with the glue--a small amount of squeeze-out is what you want.
Phisherman wrote:

I'd suggest avoiding automotive waxes or others with silicone. The silicone can wreak havoc w/ finishes on down the road...
Phisherman wrote:

It is kind of hard to imagine the glue coming in contact with the clamps..it seems that would indicate the use of way too much glue. If possible, just apply glue and press the pieces together by hand first to express the excess glue and wipe it off well with a damp cloth. If not cleaned off well, it can interfere with stain and/or final finish.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:09:41 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"

Carpenters glue is intended to glue carpenter ants together. You dont need to wipe the ants, they lick off the excess.
Unrevealed Source wrote:

Reasonably well. A piece of heavy plastic drop cloth material works better. Or plastic tape.
--

dadiOH

Wrap the jaws with masking tape. Dried glue peels off easy. Also use less glue -- what are you gluing?
Unrevealed Source wrote:

Wax works. I like saran wrap or packing tape.
Chris

Waxpaper works fine. So does a strip of a plastic waste basket liner, srips of trash sacks, slices of WalMart shopping bags, etc. Anything polyethylene is fair game. HTH
Joe

Slightly OT, but when working with epoxy, coat anything you don't want stuck with Vaseline.
e.g. put Vaseline on the threads of bolt to hold a nut in place, then epoxy the nut where you want it. The bolt will spin right out after the epoxy sets.