Carpenter or Computer Operator?

Page 2 of 2

I suspect "carpenter" was mentioned because that's the trade most "white collar" types think about.
The "money" trades are: electrician, HVAC tech, and plumber.
Mechanic is close up there.
Painters, dry wall workers, rough and finish carpenters, and roofers are a step above the grounds keepers and common laborers.

Actually, a very high portion of the foreigners "educated" in the US try very hard to get employment here.
The key is whether you (or your kid) is "college matrial."
If the kid is literally, "Mensa Smart," he is college material even if he is a tad on the lazy side.
If the kid is willing to work hard and got very good grades in HS, then he is college material.
The rest really should look at careers that don't require college and try to get a running start on life ahead of their peers. (Insurance and real estate don't require college, for example.)
Kids who are reasonably bright but don't like school and CAN work hard should look into going into business for themselves. Most of the "tradesmen" mentioned above can, if they have the ambition, become independent contractors.

Okay, now that we heard from the paranoid section.
Robert Green wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jobs-educate-20100612,0,5466021,full.story
Guess what? Carpenters will also have to BE computer operators at some point. Especially free-lance 'jack of all trades' guys doing remodels from plans provided on disk or e-mail. (Go to any boutique kitchen shop, and see how they do designs and takeoffs.) Production wood-working machines, like at a mill, already are sort of like cad-cam machines. Jobsite tools will likely be that way soon. Some basic level of computer literacy will soon become a basic requirement of ALL jobs, just like reading, writing, and basic math did a century ago, when many blue-collar jobs were held by functional illiterates.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Computer operator is an archaic term...my grandkids operated computers at age one: turn it on, navigate to their games or insert CD :o)
Supposing we get EMP bombed. A farmer with a donkey is worth more than a programmer who knows three languages. The farmer's ass continues to be useful. The computer programmer might get a job sitting on his donkey all day.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus