Carpenter Bees and Redwood Fence Posts

I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when two of the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside a knothole in the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't too aggressive, simply floated at my eye level and watched me until they'd decided I wasn't a threat. One was blonde, the other black. Judging by what I've found through google, the blonde is a male and the black female.

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it cracked loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred method for evicting said colony?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Easy..go to doyourownpestcontrol.com..call the support number, tell them what you have, they will tell you what you need to kill em..have had recuring paper wasp problems for years, paid normal pest control companies, did not work..used their stuff, not a single wasp to be seen..excellent and works and people are knowledgeable..do yourself a favor and do it right and cheaper..

Reply to
cc

Lysol and a match. Thump the post until they come out again, and torch the black one.

Reply to
Goedjn

According to The Ranger :

The males do not have a sting. Females generally won't sting except during nest construction or if you outright handle them.

I do not think carpenter bees make colonies. They're solitary bees like bumble bees. If you really have to, a single shot into the hole with creeping insect killer would probably do the trick.

Given how tame these bees usually are, with a little care you might be able to remove the post without killing them, and park the post somewhere out of the way. Try this on a cool night when they're lethargic.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Just some FYI..actually bumble bees are social. They create a wax comb and honey like honey bees, just not the quantity of honey bees.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

I've found 'fixing' would just mean the carpenter bees would return. So I've changed my approach, and dust the holes with an insecticide. This way probing females get sick and leave. Once the ladies leave, the guys leave too.

tom @

Just Joshin