Carpenter ants treatment

Hi, We have some carpenter ants inside the home and outsode as well. I have called professional pest control people for help. They said that they are going to look for the nest and spary some chemical on the foundation as well as inside the house. Inside the house they'll use a chemical - suspend-SC. They are saying that we should leave the house for few hours - until the chemical drys- once the chemical is all dried, it is not harmful in any way. I have a 3 year old son, and I am worried about spraying the chemical inside the house. On one hand, since we have ants inside the house, so we will get rid of ants fully if we spray the chemical inside but on the other hand I am worried about any sideeffects. Has anyone used this chemical inside the house? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
paige.john

Looks pretty benign to humans. OTOH, if you have gills.....

Travis Jordan

According to :

No particular point about the chemicals they use, other than to comment that eradication of carpenter ants can be _extremely_ difficult, and limiting the pest controller may result in a job that simply doesn't work.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) Hi, :) We have some carpenter ants inside the home and outsode as well. :) I have called professional pest control people for help. They said that :) they are going to look for the nest and spary some chemical on the :) foundation as well as inside the house. Inside the house they'll use a :) chemical - suspend-SC. They are saying that we should leave the house :) for few hours - until the chemical drys- once the chemical is all :) dried, it is not harmful in any way. :) I have a 3 year old son, and I am worried about spraying the chemical :) inside the house.

I'm sure they are having you leave the home due to mentioning a concern for your child before hand. I can't recall ever hearing of a problem with a person after the home was treated with suspend. If you are only treating inside for the carpenter ants, there probably is no reason to apply anything anywhere except if the ants happen to be nesting in a window sill...there are better, longer lasting treatments such as to treat the perimeter with Termidor and areas of nesting inside with Phantom. That will not just stop the carp ants, but keep all species of ants from invading the home from 6 months to a year.

:) On one hand, since we have ants inside the house, so we will get rid of :) ants fully if we spray the chemical inside but on the other hand I am :) worried about any sideeffects. :) Has anyone used this chemical inside the house? Any input is :) appreciated. :) The SC formulation of Suspend makes it a good insecticide to use in a maintenance program, especially for spiders. It is in a group of insecticides called pyrethroid and the SC formulation lasts a bit longer than other common products used.

Make sure you have hedges trimmed away from the home as well as any tree limbs touching the house, it really is night and day sometimes as far as ant activity seen inside the home.

Reply to
Lar

Nope. The instructions say to keep children and pets away until it dries.

Travis Jordan

When I bought my house, 2002, it had carpenter ants. per sale agreement, it must be treated and was. Not being a fan of using massive pesticides, I found non and little poison ways to prevent reinfestations.

  1. Removed all vegation touching the house.
  2. Inspect the outside of the house for those ants.
  3. Find those ants and drop a bait trap in their path.
  4. Pray.

This so far has kept my house carpenter ant infestation free for 3 years now.

Good luck with your adventures.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

i found simple kitchen dish soap in water will kill ants. and most other bugs. earwigs die in seconds (i call it the 9 inch killer). try it. nothing to lose. just mix up a dilute solution and pour it into wherever the ants are. if you can find a nest, split it with your spade and pour it right in. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

In article , snipped-for-privacy@no.net says... :) Nope. The instructions say to keep children and pets away until it :) dries. :) :)

:) Which tonight's experiment using cynoff WP (my product of choice)another water based product, showed to be dry under 21 minutes at 77 degrees..rather than the three hours. And that's if the treating company is doing more than a crack-crevice carp ant treatment, which may be all they are doing. When talking to potential customers if I pick up extra concern I'll extend my stay out time over two hours.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@OBVIOUScanada.com says... :) i found simple kitchen dish soap in water will kill ants. and most :) other bugs. earwigs die in seconds (i call it the 9 inch killer). :) try it. nothing to lose. just mix up a dilute solution and :) pour it into wherever the ants are. if you can find a nest, :) split it with your spade and pour it right in. :) :) carp ants will be living in hollow areas of the home..sometimes impossible to get the nest with liquids

Reply to
Lar

log onto

and buy liquid ant bait.

Apply per directions, comes in two ounce bottles. Ants slurp it up, take it back to the nest and don't return. Worked for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Roy Starrin