carpenter ants in cherry blossom tree

I found out that my cherry blossom tree has a nest of carpenter ants in it.. They started nesting where a branch was cut off a long time ago.. I can see in and see a few soldiers.. I was spraying around the house with Spectricide Terminate to build a barrier.. I decided to spray a little into the hole, and a bunch of angry ants came out.. I sprayed a little more, and even more ants came out.. A little more, then winged reproductives came out.. soon, the ground was covered with dying, disorientated ants..

Is this going to take care of it? or should a blow some boric acid in there for more long term control? and. is it even wise to do this to a living tree anyway?

Reply to
Chris

If you are getting the winged reproductive flushed out you probably got to the heart of the nest. There was no need to do anything to them though, they are a benefit to the tree removing the diseased/decaying wood of the tree.

Lar

Reply to
Lar