caribbean building....Rebar and Blocks

Hello everybody. Would anybody be as kind to advise me of any online resources concerning Caribbean building/reinforced bockworking. I am a second year brickwork student in the u.k. But we dont cover block building with rebar and poured concrete. I know that this method is used in various regions and I would be most grateful if anybody could throw any light on the subject or decent online learning resources. Sorry for my naiveity and thanks in advance.
Regards
Neil
--
neilchak

One big problem in Key West - that's well into the Caribbean climate, but still U.S. - is deterioration of concrete and reinforcing from salt in the water. U.S. Navy had chunks of concrete falling from big structures because of this. One solution tried was epoxy coated reinforcing.
Portland Cement Association might have info. TB

Check out www.polysteel.com and www.reddiform.com Both companies have supplied product in the UK and Reddiform is starting to manufacture there.
IOn Mon, 2 May 2005 22:13:24 +0100, neilchak

The various building codes in the islands are shaky at best but the Florida costal zone code requires #5 repar in the footing lapped and tied to the footer steel, that stubs up into the block cores at corners, windows, doors and every 5' in a running wall. This is lapped 30" and tied to a #5 in the cores that extend to the top where it is lapped and tied to the "tie beam" #5 rebar. Then the cores and top 2 courses of block are poured solid with 3000# concrete. Metal straps are set in the tie beam that go over the roof trusses. This creates a matrix from the foundation to the roof.