Care of Granite and Other Stone

Page 1 of 2
Since installation of a granite counter top, tumbled marble, and porcelin tile, I have had conflicting advice as to how to maintain it--from the people who I purchased and installed it (who claim I never have to do anything) to a lot of reading that says I should use/do a variety of things.
I would think that like the slate in my foyer, it should be stripped and re-sealed from time to time. I'm hoping to get some additional information from this group, or helpful URLs.
TIA.
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.

That's funny. I have something very similar to Blue Pearl. I generally clean mine with vinegar and water (that's what was suggested to me when it was installed-anything else would be too strong or would leave a film) and use counter top protectors when preparing food, so I have no stains on mine so far, and I'm sure that it's sanitary. I think I might have a piece of mine, somewhere. I'll test it like you did.
I was wondering whether I'd have to strip it before re-sealing, but I don't want to take any chances. I would guess since the sealer you tried didn't soak in that your sealer is holding up. When I have sealed the slate in my foyer, I have always stripped it, first.
Thanks for your response, Wayne. I feel a little more comfortable, now.

--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.
I have a darker granite, it doesnt stain but as I am told if you leave something on long enough it can stain , maybe overnight. Test a piece. Sealers dont absorb noticably. Different granites absorb stains differently.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Maybe that's why I'm having such a difficult time getting an answer.
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.
I used 511 impregnator which I had used for my tile floor and it worked well there.
This site has the specs on the Blue Pearl and other granite you will see how well it compares
http://www.stoneinfo.com/astmspecs.html#bluepearl
Wayne

Our supplier provided half a jug of 511 with instructions to apply annually with no mention of stripping. There are a couple of granite sites but I've lost the URLs.

Thanks for the information, Wayne and nospambob.
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.
I was told never to use vinegar or anything acidic on our granite.

See how confusing it is. I was told by the installers to use nothing but vinegar mixed with water.

--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.

No. You mention several items: slate, granite, marble, porcelain ceramic. These vary from spongy (slate, marble) to impermeable (granite, porcelain) and likewise inertness. The care differs accordingly.
I fail to understand people who pay so much money for stone, and then want to coat it with plastic so it doesn't look like stone.

That's true, and I apologize for the confusion. In the baths I've got porcelain which is holding up very well. However, I squeegee it and wipe it down after each use in the shower to prevent any mold from forming. I also have a ventilation fan. From a healthstandpoint, I just wondered if there was anything I have to do to maintain it's healthy state as time progresses.
As far as the granite counter tops, in the kitchen, I'll look into the 511 as posted by two other posters.

It's not coated with plastic. I have plastic and glass counter toppers that I use _only_ when preparing food. In a kitchen, whether a surface is porous and properly treated is a matter of safety. You are also correct in that I spent a lot of money on the materials, which is why I want to know if I have to do anything to protect my investment.
Thank you for mentioning that different stones need different care. I should have worded my initial post more precisely. I appreciate your response.
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.
kati snipped-for-privacy@snow.com wrote:

Some stones are sedimentary. Teeny particles settle out of water then are subjected to pressure and modest heat bonding the particles - and the empty spaces between the particles - together. These include sandstone and slate (oil is extracted from slate). The manufactured equivalent is ordinary brick. These materials (slate, brick) can accept a stain and, to avoid such, can be "sealed."
Other rocks, called igneous, are heated to the melting point by geothermal action, then cooled. An example is granite. The manufactured equivalent is glass, porcelain, or ceramic. Neither can be stained and do not need sealing. Heck, they're impervious to fuming Nitric Acid!
In the middle are rocks like marble - much more difficult to stain than sedimentary but still ever-so-slightly porous. Michelangelo's "David" was recently "restored" by teasing out the stains with water and cotton swabs. I guess you could "seal" marble but I know no one would DARE suggest such a thing for the statue of David.
Jerry Granite will stain some more than others if juice, or coffee are left on them for a long period. It is a known fact and that is why sealers can be needed. Talk to a dealer about removing grape stains out of light colored granite, sometimes you cant get them out.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Oh, no...here I go, again. <g>
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.

What do you think these "sealers" are?

Are you saying they are plastic?
--
Memory was given to mortals so that they might
have roses in December.
They are a liquid that is wiped on then wiped off. I couldn't discern a difference in appearance.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:00:31 -0400, kati snipped-for-privacy@snow.com wrote:

They are not plastic sealers and dont change apearance or anything.

That's what I thought I saw them do after installation.