Care and maintenance of hardwood floors

We recently had the oak floors in our home refinished with 3 coats of glitsa solvent swedish finish(non-waterbase). The only room in the house that did not have the floors refinished was the bathroom. Even the kitchen had oak hardwood floors once I removed the exsisting linoleum and all the adhesive that went with it(what a wonderful job that is!)

I would like to do everything possible to keep the floors in good shape. I have put pads/felt/etc on the bottom of all the furniture and I have figured out a way to protect the kitchen floor from the stove and refrigerator bottoms. We also have good quality floor matts at both entrances to the finished areas.

What is the best method for day to day cleaning? Suggestions have included vacuuming(not using the brush roller), sweeping the floors using a synthetic bristle broom that will not scratch, and using a dust mop.

For a more thorough cleaning, should we be some type of solution applied with a mop and then dried right away? I know you are not supposed to use wax, but are there other manufactured cleaners that work well and are safe?

What about cleaning up scuff marks,water spots,etc. What is the best method to quickly and safely remove this type of problem.

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Read the label on the can or contact the company that made it.

Reply to
m Ransley

clipped

The best thing you can do for wood floors is remove your shoes at the door :o) That keeps a lot of sand from being carried in and wearing down or scratching the finish. I've never heard of the particular finish used on your floor - the product label would be the best source to find instructions. Wonder of wonders, they have a website:

My experience with wood floors was with old fashioned varnish. Damp mop once in a while, wax, buff once a year or so. Wipe up food spills as they occur, don't put wet/damp stuff on the floor. Flower pots on the floor should be in a stand and have a dish to catch water. Be sure to vacuum under throw rugs and mats, as they collect sand and will scratch floor. Mats with rubber or plastic backing may stick or stain the finish. If you have children, send them to boarding school :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Water, white vinegar and ammonia mixed in a spray bottle. 16 oz of water with 1 oz of vinegar and ammonia each. Though I use 2 oz for a stronger dose. This keeps the hardwood floors clean and looking nice. Also great for other around the house clean ups.

Reply to
meanie

Geez... I like that last advice, but realistically...

Save your money to just have them touched up every few years! (recoated)

The more coats of poly the better. In kitchen areas make sure to get a few on there. It'll seal up the floor to prevent water from getting in there when the spills happen.

Sand and animals are your worst enemy. They can dull those floors down in no time.

Reply to
BocesLib