Carb Overhaul on Homelite Vac Attack II

I had a problem where the engine would die when set at half-choke and the throttle was advanced. (Could be advanced a little without dying but not full.) At no choke the engine would not run at all. I tried adjusting the jets to no avail- I purchased a Zama rebuild kit. When installing, the carb looked extremely clean and no parts appeared damaged or worn. I did not soak the carb at all, maybe a bad idea. On reassembly the engine runs better but not perfectly. It now runs fairly fast at no choke, but still runs better at half. It wants to go to full throttle at half choke but then seems to run unevenly and slower. Oddly, when then moved to no choke the rpms increase to almost full throttle but then go back down again. Three options to do next: (1) Take the carb off again, re-disassemble and soak. (2) Assume the tank strainer has a problem (what to do if it's that?) (likelihood?) (3) Assume the gas is bad and replace. (Gas is LT 6mo old.) What would you do *first*? Thanks for help! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I'd put Permatex IIb non hardening on both sides of the gasket betwen the carb and the machine. I've had a leaky gasket do that, more than once. When that happens, the machine draws air after the carb, and runs lean.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm...I had actually thought of that- should have been option 4. Will give it a shot. Thanks. The fact that when reassembled there was a slight improvement also supports your idea because I think the carb kit did nothing. BTW how likely is it ever that the strainer in the bottom of the fuel tank gets partially plugged? And how often does an overhaul kit improve things? Nothing I saw in the kit looks like it could go bad except possible the diaphragm, and while mine looked a *little* floppy I doubt that would cause problems. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

In my experience rebuilding carbs the problem is almost always dirt in a jet or orifice or somewhere, I seldom buy a rebuild kit and often make new gaskets myself. Not very often do they need any new parts.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Y'welcome. Just sharing what I have learned. I'm sure some mower repair guys are cursing me for costing them a repair call. Ah, well. It's the economy.

Strainers do get plugged. How often? I don't know. If yours is a two stroke, with flexible gas line. you will need a bent wire with a hook on the end, to get the hose to come out, and let you get at the intake filter. Filter probably has weight built into it, to keep the pickup down into the fuel.

Best of luck, please let us know how it works out.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Frank,

Why are you rebuilding the carb? What diagnostic tests lead you to suspect the carb? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? It sounds like you're running lean. Get a can of carb cleaner. Start the engine and let it run for a minute or two. Spray carb cleaner where the carb bolts to the head. Does the engine stumble? If yes, then fix the leak. Spray the head gasket. Did the engine stumble? Et c. I doubt that you have bad gas or a bad filter but these are easy to replace.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Still trying to find the time to get at this.... Will post message when I do. Thanks again all. Frank

Reply to
frank1492