Carb on Tecumseh engine leaking gas

I installed a new bowl gasket, the bowl does not have drain. I don't know where the float is hanging up. I rechecked the new float, it does not have a hole in it.

Reply to
SlipKid

I have the same problem with Tecumseh lawnmower. I wonder if the little clip on the needle valve could cause it to hang if not turned the correct way? Diagram shows the closed U facing forward and the open end facing towards the rear. The diagram also shows a small O-ring between the bowl and the stem. I'll bet mine came off when I removed the bowl. Oh well, I installed a shut off valve and just turn it off as I head in for the old barn.

Reply to
rdglide03-dbasedos

worst case scenario is just keep on searching on ebay and find one on there for cheap. If you do and it solves your problem for the moment then your in business. Keep the old one as a spare for those sneaky blizzards when all hell breaks loose.

Reply to
BocesLib

Hi slip I have a suggestion. There could be rust or dirt in the gas. If you get rust in the inlet it will flood it. Also a rotten fuel line will leach bits of rubber into the carb causing flooding. It could also be possible you put the neoprene seat in upside down. The side with the little groove all the way around it goes in first. Good luck.

Reply to
conan

replying to Rastus, Jas wrote: If it's too high it would turn off. As the float raises, it should close the seat. I'm having the exact same trouble. Remove the bowl and I can get it to operate properly. Install the bowl and it acts like a bad float or needle and seat. Tweaked the tab several times.

Reply to
Jas

replying to SlipKid, Jas wrote: What did you find? I am having the exact same issue. No one can answer. And instead of a carb rebuild kit, I bought a brand new one. New float, needle and seat, etc! I adjusted the float level at least a dozen times by now. Just like you say, it works fine without the bowl attached. Secondly I bought ANOTHER new carb from amazon for $15 thinking I just had bad luck with the previous new one. Guess what, it does the same thing.

Reply to
Jas

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote: Your float is drowning Got to bend the metal tag With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when it's closed off If it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

Reply to
RNZatv

Quite likey dirt in the needle valve

Reply to
clare

Brass float? Or brown fibre float? If the latter, it could be methanol soaking into it replacing the internal air micro pockets making the float sink. Replace it .... opinion slightly embellished..

Reply to
Phil Kangas

In 45 years I've seen more dirt in needle valves than sunk floats by a LARGE margin - particularky wiyh rubber hoses and ethanol gas. Methanal is VERY rare in motor fuel - even most gasline de-icers no longer use methanol. Of the few sunk floats I've seen, the vast majority are brass floats that have cracked - I've soldered a few over the yeats but I don't think many were tecumsehs. I do remenber a few cork floats that had the shelac stripped off of them by methanol gasline drier WAY back. - and a few fuel guage floats on some Pipers and Aeroncas

Reply to
clare

replying to SlipKid, chris brown wrote: I had the same problem. bent the tab that is on the float to push needle wider and replaced the needle holding wire retaining pin in the opposite direction.!! stopped leaking

Reply to
chris brown

replying to chris brown, Dale Shockling wrote: Thanks for the post chris brown . I had my carb off and on at least 6 times . New needle & seat new float bowl . Still leaked read this and changed the clip around , nothing else, and it stopped leaking and started up . A little rough at first because the plug was probably a little fouled but cleared up and smoothed out

Reply to
Dale Shockling