Car wash

If I use hot water in my pressure washer and it's 20 degrees out will I crack my car windows?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

probably not. I've thrown warm water on windshields for decades and have never had one break. I think it's a wives tale.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Why not start with warm water and then let it get hotter? It is probably ok, but why not be prudent and not risk having an insurance claim?

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you think it's a possible issue, simply run and warm up the car for

15 minutes before you wash it.

Washing it in 20 degree temps is just begging for frozen locks and doors, though.

Reply to
salty

Yeah. This time of year I just make sure I keep the lights, glass and license plates* clean and let nature run its course otherwise. "dirt brown" can be a color too... :-)

  • most folk around here don't, but the cops don't seem to care - surprising as I bet they could make a heap of cash if they wanted...
Reply to
Jules

In an old work van I had stones breaking the windshield a lot. I asked the insurance co. if it would effect my rates and they said no, only claims over $950 will make a possible difference. That Safari van windshield was a stone magnet. Had it replaced 4 or 5 times in 120,000 miles. Just recently my drivers side window blew up sitting in the driveway. No deductible and no record on my insurance. Now I noticed a crack in the Passenger side of the windshield. I should give it a punch so the whole thing cracks, then I could blend in with the locals.

Reply to
Tony

I guess you have a "special" power washer, my Karcher says not to use HW, did you read the manual.

Reply to
ransley

Hot water or pressure washers are not good for washing cars. I use a lawn sprinkler to wash away the road salts--easy to pull it slowly under the vehicle.

Reply to
Phisherman

Here in Maine the carwash has warm water for the pressure washers as well as the drive thru part...Never seen a broken window despite sub-zero temps....The rocks that are suppose to be the sand they put on the roads are a different story...The glass companies are BUSY this time of year...

I don't have a pressure washer YET but is it true you can't run hot water thru them ????

Reply to
benick

Why?

I live on the other side of The Pond!

Reply to
Clot

The pump is cooled by water, pumps generates alot of heat getting water to pressure, I guess if you monitored the pumps design temp it wouldnt hurt, but winters cold wont allow it to overheat and doing a car wont be for hours and hours with real hot water.

Reply to
ransley

Well goody for you...Your point is????

Reply to
benick

The pump is cooled by water, pumps generates alot of heat getting water to pressure, I guess if you monitored the pumps design temp it wouldnt hurt, but winters cold wont allow it to overheat and doing a car wont be for hours and hours with real hot water.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering...The water would cool down quite a bit in the hose thru the snow...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Van Chocstraw wrote in news:pv- dncRU7_QHENHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

yes.

Reply to
Stepfann King

"benick" wrote in news:mrOdna77mqHN2tDWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@neonova.net:

It's bad weather on both sides.

Reply to
Stepfann King

No...

Reply to
benick

As long it isn't hard water. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

"benick" wrote in news:Aeqdnf3Hnaz_z9DWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@neonova.net:

Maybe.

Reply to
TaskProperties

re: Dirty license plates

I got pulled over for speeding a few years back. I have vanity plates with *clear* plexiglass over them for protection.

I showed the officer the utmost respect, but my heart sank as he came back to my van with a ticket in his hand.

"I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket, but that plexiglass over your plates is illegal. This citation is for an 'obstructed license plate'. Take it easy for the rest of your trip."

I did not feel that pointing out the minimal obstructive properties of

*clear* plexiglass would have been prudent at that time.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

He might have thought is was that polarized film people use to evade stoplight cameras. Cops hate stuff like that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken