Car wash

Page 1 of 2

If I use hot water in my pressure washer and it's 20 degrees out will I crack my car windows?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

probably not. I've thrown warm water on windshields for decades and have never had one break. I think it's a wives tale.

Why not start with warm water and then let it get hotter? It is probably ok, but why not be prudent and not risk having an insurance claim?
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:18:10 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

If you think it's a possible issue, simply run and warm up the car for 15 minutes before you wash it.
Washing it in 20 degree temps is just begging for frozen locks and doors, though.
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:41:35 -0500, salty wrote:

Yeah. This time of year I just make sure I keep the lights, glass and license plates* clean and let nature run its course otherwise. "dirt brown" can be a color too... :-)
* most folk around here don't, but the cops don't seem to care - surprising as I bet they could make a heap of cash if they wanted...
On Jan 12, 11:18am, Jules

re: Dirty license plates
I got pulled over for speeding a few years back. I have vanity plates with *clear* plexiglass over them for protection.
I showed the officer the utmost respect, but my heart sank as he came back to my van with a ticket in his hand.
"I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket, but that plexiglass over your plates is illegal. This citation is for an 'obstructed license plate'. Take it easy for the rest of your trip."
I did not feel that pointing out the minimal obstructive properties of *clear* plexiglass would have been prudent at that time.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

He might have thought is was that polarized film people use to evade stoplight cameras. Cops hate stuff like that.
Jon
-snip-

The obstruction is minimal to the human eye-- but I'll bet it blinds traffic cameras and the car-cams that a lot of police departments have that scan & run every plate in view.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I seem to recall reading a story about a guy driving through red lights equipped with cameras while he wore a gorilla mask. Police couldn't prove he was the driver.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2009/09/13/Masked_speeder_0912.ART_ART_09-13-09_A2_B6F28NT.html?sid 1
they still haven't tried him in court. they staked out his house and have video of him putting the mask on at his house.
regards, charlie phx, az
charlie wrote:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2009/09/13/Masked_speeder_0912.ART_ART_09-13-09_A2_B6F28NT.html?sid 1
I wonder how much money they are willing to spend going after the guy? If all drivers would start driving around with something to cover their face, like a full face crash helmet or a silvered flip down glare shield, the cops would howl loudly that is was dangerous which is a lie so the legislature will outlaw anything covering a driver's face. It's all about money. Heck, I read something about communities that are penalizing people who contest traffic tickets. You plead not guilty and they tack on $500.00 or something like that.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

a lot. he racked up 37 tickets, some for speeds over 110mph.

yes, they do that in phx. they add court and serving costs, and an additional penalty. if you win, the extra charges all go away, but one doesn't win very often.
it's for the children.
regards, charlie phx, az

I don't understand why people think this is such ripoff. In other cases, you are offered a plea bargain (usually lesser charge for less sentence, etc). If you turn it down and go to court, you run the risk of going away more time should you be convicted. All the additional penalties are is the difference between what is being offered and what the statutory maximum is. Pays your money and takes your chances. At least the way it works in Indy.
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

It violates the principle that one should not be penalized for attempting to prove one's innocence. However, as you point out, there are lots of built-in things (plea bargains, court costs, etc) that do this.
Chip C Toronto
charlie wrote:

Man, if I won a mega lottery, (the Southern Baptists won't let it in Alabama) I would start a foundation to challenge all traffic tickets in court to make them prove the charges. Too many people are ticketed because someone doesn't like the way they look (not all cops are bad, it only takes a few to give the good a bad name) or through mistaken identity. Driving while Black or what happened to me decades ago, driving while Hippie often earns someone an undeserved citation especially if they run that mouth out of indignation. I actually watched a cop go after and pull over a very attractive woman some years ago. My LEO friends tell me some hysterical stories about some of their encounters with the unwashed masses.
TDD
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:28:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Surely the cops just go after the owner of the vehicle and then it's up to them to either take the fine or tell the cops who was driving...
Jules wrote:

no. they try to, but it doesn't work in court so they stopped. the photo ticket can be successfully contested if the picture doesn't show the owner. the contesting person just shows up in court with the picture and says "it wasn't me". there is no law that states the owner has to identify the driver either. it is up to the charging officer to cite the correct person who was actually driving. a big problem is that people are simply tossing the mailed tickets because mail doesn't meet the law's requirement for proper serving. cities are now going to process servers instead of mail for tickets to counteract scofflaws.
btw: out of state plates cause the tickets to be discarded rather than be served, thus visitors can speed without penalties.
regards, charlie phx, az

-snip-
-snip-
That's all state by state [and likely city by city sometimes]
Want to make your head spin? Read this pdf; http://www.afsaonline.org/CMS/fileREPOSITORY/AFSA%20Vehicle%20Driver%20Owner%20Liability%20Shifting%20white%20paper%20final%20December.pdf tiny url http://tinyurl.com/y95jws8
Jim

re: Dirty license plates
I got pulled over for speeding a few years back. I have vanity plates with *clear* plexiglass over them for protection.
I showed the officer the utmost respect, but my heart sank as he came back to my van with a ticket in his hand.
"I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket, but that plexiglass over your plates is illegal. This citation is for an 'obstructed license plate'. Take it easy for the rest of your trip."
I did not feel that pointing out the minimal obstructive properties of *clear* plexiglass would have been prudent at that time.
========================================= Most places have that law -- many places don't even allow trim around the plate, like from the dealer.
But, he did you a solid -- saved you points, insurance bullshit, etc.
--
EA

In an old work van I had stones breaking the windshield a lot. I asked the insurance co. if it would effect my rates and they said no, only claims over $950 will make a possible difference. That Safari van windshield was a stone magnet. Had it replaced 4 or 5 times in 120,000 miles. Just recently my drivers side window blew up sitting in the driveway. No deductible and no record on my insurance. Now I noticed a crack in the Passenger side of the windshield. I should give it a punch so the whole thing cracks, then I could blend in with the locals.