Car security problem, sort of

My Nissan came with a 'key fob', a 2.5 x 0.75 x 0.5 inch plastic irregularly-shaped device that has three buttons - unlock doors, lock, & panic.

Yesterday somehow the panic button somehow accidently got pushed while I was standing next to the car in a parking lot embarrasing me by beeping the horn and flashing the lights.

Any suggestions on how to guard this button from being accidently pushed? Somehow covering the button with something stiff. I was thinking of a thin metal loop around that part of the fob but can't think of a removable (in case I sell the car) way to mount it. Any other ideas? I thought of but can't see any way to remove one of the button's connections. Only access to the interior is to replace battery. I don't want to stop carrying the fob - it bailed me out once when I locked the key in the car and opens the hatchback. I prefer to keep it on my key ring or I'll forget it.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Should be able use an epoxy on that button. Make sure it won't melt the plastic first.

Reply to
Vic Smith

KenK pretended :

I have a fob for our Jeep Grand Cherokee. I found the best thing to do is put the fob in a secure key holder in the house and since you don't use a purse, put it in your pocket when using that Nissan. I usually put it in My shirt pocket, or My green eyed brides purse. :D I rarely drive that Jeep these days...My Wife has layed claim to it, and now that $175.00 fob is in Her purse...perminently. lol Now I have to drive My customized 1968 Chevy C10 short box pickemup truck. Oh darn.... :D

Reply to
Eagle

Define "accidentally" -- did you drop it and a rock coincidentally fell on THAT button? Or, some nearby toddler grabbing at it?

*You* pushed the button. Perhaps thinking it was the "unlock" button -- or something else.

Our fobs have four buttons: lock, unlock, rear liftgate and panic. Ignoring the legends printed on them (that last one painted in RED instead of BLACK), they also have tactile differences; the liftgate button has a recessed hollow so it's not "flush" with the fob's surface, like the lock/unlock buttons.

Additionally, the liftgate and panic buttons require a persistent effort to engage those functions; you have to HOLD the button depressed for a much longer time than the (momentary) lock/unlock buttons.

The buttons are also different sizes. The panic button is much "thinner" than the other three -- you have to almost stand your finger upright to confine your pressure to JUST the button and not find the surrounding plastic case interfering with your attempts to press it.

Finally, the buttons are in a fixed order: lock, unlock, liftgate... panic. With just four items, its pretty easy to remember where to push! :>

I've attached my fob to a short chain with a clip that is affixed to a belt loop. I'm not used to carrying it so figured the chain would help remind me not to take it out of my pocket (while fishing for spare change, etc.) and FORGET to replace it! This also makes it easy to find -- fingers follow the chain down into the pocket until they reach the fob (or, just tug on the chain).

On returning home, I hang the "belt clip" on a hook by the doorway. Saves me the trouble of searching for it prior to leaving; and, acts as a reminder on my way out the door.

If you want to disable the panic feature, just weld the button in the off/released position! :> Note that when you try to sell the vehicle, this will require a replacement -- which will probably come out of your sale price.

You can also look for a replacement *now* and try to select one that doesn't have a PANIC function!

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y wrote in news:n3puuu$1eg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Don't know. Was just fumbling for something in one pocket and pulling the key ring out of the other. Probably somehow pushed the button when I pulled out the key ring. There is a LOT of stuff on my key ring!

First time in the two years I've owned the car.

Reply to
KenK

buy a key safe and attach it to the vehicle somewhere. my step son locked himself out 8 times, bought the emergency keysafe with combination lock, and attached it to the roof rack mount.

no more need to call me with chis reporting he is locked out.....

Reply to
bob haller

I keep a spare key (for my car, no fob) in my wallet. So, if locked out, I can get in. Hidden *inside* the car is a spare for the trunk. In that way, I have to misplace my keys (or, lock them inside the car!)

*and* my wallet to be SoL!

(If I've lost my wallet, I have bigger problems than being locked out of the car!)

We have a similar scheme at home -- with a key buried in the yard (it's OK for it to be difficult to retrieve it because you're not supposed to NEED it!)

In each case, an adversary would be unaware of the "hidden" items so wouldn't even try to locate them!

Reply to
Don Y

Did anyone notice?

I've set my alarm off 3 or 4 times, not that way, but by reaching in the open window, unlocking the door, and opening the door. The alarm doesn't count unlocking without a key as disarming it. When I do that, set off the alarm, I just put in the key and unlock the door and that turns off the alarm. Anyone who has noticed, notices that the alarm has quickly stopped, and they figure I made a mistake. They certainly think that when I get in and drive away.

What's the worse that could happen? If someone acts very quickly and a cop is nearby and he wants proof I own the car, that's why I carry my car's registration. What thief would have that? But it's never happened.

Then it wouldn't work when you or a woman driving your car needed it .

Then it wouldn't work at all.

Reply to
Micky

But is that binary, base 10, or base 7? Sounds hard to me.

Reply to
Micky

You did not push the button again? Usually that will stop the honking/flashing. I don't even carry key fob in the pocket. It is in my bag pack. Car won't even let you lock the door if the key is left inside. If have a remote starter installed, you may have another fun. Some cars We can't "take away" after car starts remotely but they are working on this issues for many cars.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Car won't let you lock the door if ANY key is inside! I.e., even if you have YOUR key on your person, step out of the car and try to lock it behind you (while another key is inside).

Also discovered that car won't let you lock it if it is RUNNING -- even if ALL of the keys are "outside"! (Nor will it let you open liftgate in that scenario)

Reply to
Don Y

If you'd read further, you'd have seen that that was my point .

And it's even less important if possible if no one has noticed.

Reply to
Micky

Key fob has two kinda buttons, one you just tap(lock, unlock button) one you have to push and hold for 2-3 secs.(remote start, panic button, power trunk, liftgate) to minimize accidental activation.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony Hwang wrote in news:qBi8y.154102$ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.iad:

My manual says the Panic only needs 1/2 sec. I like the 2 sec idea much better but there's no adjustment I'm aware of.

Reply to
KenK