Car hiitches easy to install!!! except

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:06:48 -0700, Smitty Two

value a dollar.
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:47:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

FWIW, I had everything stolen from my trunk in 1969. There must have been some tools in there. Then in 1974 or so, I had my car towed away by the city of NY, and crushed within a day they told me. I had tools in the trunk then, including Craftsman tools such as combinations wrenches and sockets. I'm sure they forced open the turnk and distributed to themseves what was in it, but I didn't get a thing. Then in 1982, I had everything stolen from my trunk again. There were a bunch of tools in it then, but this time nothing expensive.
I find it hard now to buy quality or expensive tools.
At most I'll use the tap on 4 holes this time, and 4 more holes maybe in 5 to 9 years when I get my next car, and 5 to 9 years after that, and maybe one more time. By the car after that, I'll be 85, God willing, and I may not bother to put on a hitch.
I've enjoyed this thread immensely, and I'm grateful to you, but I was thinking a battery cable brush might work well to clean out the dirt. I don't know if there will be rust in this car or the next 3. If I had kids who wanted my tools, I would buy better ones. My only friend who would really want my tools is 10 years older than I am, and although his parents lived ito 94 and 99, I hope to live until he doesn't want more tools either.
I do value quality -- I think it's beautiful --, but maybe not for myself. . .

You sound like you're near my age (66). Some advice...don't keep your good tools in the trunk! But, if you enjoy quality tools...buy them! B^)
Everyone seems to be down-sizing. Buying smaller houses and banking the equity. Going back to using one car. I figure if the economy tanks anymore and the proverbial shit hits the fan...I might as well be right in the front...because its still gonna hit the ones in the back! Its only a matter of time...and your ability to duck! (this is NOT a quote-because I wrote it)
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:22:04 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

"nominal bolt size" The ACTUAL bolt size is generally smaller than the nominal bolt size, because the crest of the thread is slightly rounded (not razor sharp) to fit the root of the thread, which in a Unified National thread or an ANSI thread are also rounded.
The class of fit will affect how much SMALLER the bolt is than the nut.
On Aug 22, 4:24pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sure it's within thousandths of an inch...but certainly not anywhere near the same size! I believe there are standard SAE and government tolerances are more strict. My point was, you can't clean-out a thread with the same size...you need clearances.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:11:34 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

On Aug 23, 4:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I use a tap (if possible)...YOU use a bolt.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:46:13 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

What about a thread chaser? I know they have them for spark plug threads, but what about other threads?