Car hiitches easy to install!!! except

Sure it's within thousandths of an inch...but certainly not anywhere near the same size! I believe there are standard SAE and government tolerances are more strict. My point was, you can't clean-out a thread with the same size...you need clearances.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

You DO clean out a thread with the same sized tap - or bolt.

Reply to
clare

I use a tap (if possible)...YOU use a bolt.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Some time back a dealer said that the package was so cheap they just included it on every one they ordered. Maybe the factory got that message.

Reply to
krw

What about a thread chaser? I know they have them for spark plug threads, but what about other threads?

Reply to
micky

They are available for pretty well any thread.

Reply to
clare

Sadly, that quality is very rare, even among those who THINK they value a dollar.

Reply to
clare

FWIW, I had everything stolen from my trunk in 1969. There must have been some tools in there. Then in 1974 or so, I had my car towed away by the city of NY, and crushed within a day they told me. I had tools in the trunk then, including Craftsman tools such as combinations wrenches and sockets. I'm sure they forced open the turnk and distributed to themseves what was in it, but I didn't get a thing. Then in 1982, I had everything stolen from my trunk again. There were a bunch of tools in it then, but this time nothing expensive.

I find it hard now to buy quality or expensive tools.

At most I'll use the tap on 4 holes this time, and 4 more holes maybe in 5 to 9 years when I get my next car, and 5 to 9 years after that, and maybe one more time. By the car after that, I'll be 85, God willing, and I may not bother to put on a hitch.

I've enjoyed this thread immensely, and I'm grateful to you, but I was thinking a battery cable brush might work well to clean out the dirt. I don't know if there will be rust in this car or the next 3. If I had kids who wanted my tools, I would buy better ones. My only friend who would really want my tools is 10 years older than I am, and although his parents lived ito 94 and 99, I hope to live until he doesn't want more tools either.

I do value quality -- I think it's beautiful --, but maybe not for myself. . .

Reply to
micky

You sound like you're near my age (66). Some advice...don't keep your good tools in the trunk! But, if you enjoy quality tools...buy them! B^)

Everyone seems to be down-sizing. Buying smaller houses and banking the equity. Going back to using one car. I figure if the economy tanks anymore and the proverbial =93shit hits the fan=94...I might as well be right in the front...because it=92s still gonna hit the ones in the back! It=92s only a matter of time...and your ability to duck! (this is NOT a quote-because I wrote it)

Reply to
Bob_Villa