Car generator to power house

I SUSPECT you are wrong - as theist generation Prius had a 17 KW generator . Second Generation was something like30, and 3rd generation 50 or 55, from what I remember.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Don't think so. Here's the quote:
"Though he couldn't run his entire house one his one car, they were able to get approximately 17 Kilowatt hours of energy. This was enough to power his refrigerator/freezer, television, lights, wood stove fan and accessories for a few days."
If he were getting 17Kw power, he'd have been able to power a heck of a lot more -- I can power more than he could with my 2Kw EU2000i genny.
Plus, as was obvious (AND stated in the article), he was using an inverter. When's the last time you heard of anyone just happening to have a 17Kw inverter lying around the house? ;) 8Kw is considered a VERY high power consumer inverter.

And if you read one of the dozen other stories on the guy, you too will discover that he had a 1KW inverter

A 60 amp service is 13 kw Running a 1 kw inverter off the prius would be pure stupidity. (not saying that's not what he did - he was an electrical engineering professor from an ivy league university, after all.

You're finally catching on. He's an idiot, and the whole story is idiotic. IF you piece together the facts, it's a non story created by journalistic wackos for an obvious purpose

He ran it for a few days, it made 17kwh over several days, not at once. A 1000w inverter does not mean it used 1000 watts at one point, a small inverter might have fried or failed to operate at all, but he was smart and oversized. He made 8500 watts a day total average or only 354 watts an hour. 354 watts hr avg, Take high and low beam headlights, all your average side and back lights on my car and its about 350 Watts, I have 2 sets of extra Piaa lights, throw in a 20 watt heater blower and 20 watt stereo and I am all the time on counrty roads pulling 600++ watts on a 17 yr old smaller car original small alternator, not a high output unit. He used only 5 gallons gas over 48 hours, that alone proves his load was very low and not all the time. My gen at idle might use 10 gallons in 48 hrs idling at 3600 rpm. Or what am I missing.

He ran it for a few days, it made 17kwh over several days, not at once. A 1000w inverter does not mean it used 1000 watts at one point, a small inverter might have fried or failed to operate at all, but he was smart and oversized. He made 8500 watts a day total average or only 354 watts an hour. 354 watts hr avg, Take high and low beam headlights, all your average side and back lights on my car and its about 350 Watts, I have 2 sets of extra Piaa lights, throw in a 20 watt heater blower and 20 watt stereo and I am all the time on counrty roads pulling 600++ watts on a 17 yr old smaller car original small alternator, not a high output unit. He used only 5 gallons gas over 48 hours, that alone proves his load was very low and not all the time. My gen at idle might use 10 gallons in 48 hrs idling at 3600 rpm. Or what am I missing.
Ransley, you're not missing anything. Neither he, nor the Prius, did anything special. It was a totally NON story fabricated by a bunch of reporter environmentalist wackos, desperate to try to put wings on the Prius and demonize the neighbor's Tahoe. To be clear, I have nothing against the Prius, the Tahoe, or any "practical environmentalist", just the wackos
Erma1ina wrote:

I'll defer to you on that one.
What put me off track was wondering what he would have had to use to meter the energy usage over time closely enough to be able to say "approximately 17 KWH", and thinking that there was no "easy" way to do that unless he had an old KWH meter lying around or maybe a few of those Kill A Watt electricity usage meters. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>>>http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
For the small amount of power in question, a single Kill-a-Watt would do just fine.

You are correct, in a news video, it shows his 1KW inverter with a kill a watt plugged into it. It's also amusing that if you watch the video, the woman is cooking a turkey in an electric range. http://wbztv.com/local/prius.charges.house.2.894690.html

the car starting about every half hout. Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!! Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal every-day inverter either!!. The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge - so not your typical deep-cycle battery either. Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case, 1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)
On Dec 26, 5:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew 17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V subsytem.

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew 17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V subsytem.

There are a dozen different stories on it. Reporters from all over were just tripping over each other to write a worship the Prius story. Bottom line, he connected a 1000 watt garden variety inverter to the gel cell 12 volt battery, and let the car auto start to keep it charged. I guess he needed to be a Harvard EE to figure out how to connect the red and black wires to the battery.

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been smart.

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been smart.
I'm not putting down that car or any other hybrid, only the deceptive ,twisted story, designed to make a guy with no foresight look like a genius, and the least innovative part of the hybrid, (the gel cell), appear to be something miraculous.
I too, live in the northeast. We have snow and ice storms. Sometimes we lose electricity. People who don't want to be without power in those circumstances, like me, own generators designed to power everything we desire during an outage. It's really a no brainer

I own a gen also, but at altprius its a discussed common use, and it will be with alot of hybrids comming out.

He probably was a Harvard EE. If he was an MIT EE he would have figured out that this doesn't make much sense and not have bothered.

He probably was a Harvard EE. If he was an MIT EE he would have figured out that this doesn't make much sense and not have bothered.
If he was an MIT EE he would have tapped into the Prius's HUGE generating capabilities and powered his whole freekin house
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 05:45:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Which WOUYLD be absolute lunacy - and the Prius does NOT auto-restart on the 12 volt accessory battery level.
On Dec 27, 12:40pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wrong, it does Auto Restart when on, when the traction battery is low enough.