Car generator to power house

Page 1 of 7
It can be done - if you're smug enough.
http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm

see it can be done
RVers use inverters constantly

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm

The Prius is a genius - it starts itself when the battery gets down to 40% charge. No going out to the cold to start the generator. Ant it is at leasta 13KW generator
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, 13KW at 12V or 120V?

Neither, the car has two motor/generators and a high voltage battery. It also has a 12 volt battery, and as with most of these puff articles, they either don't know or aren't going to divulge any of the pertinent information
Tony Hwang wrote:

Watts the difference?

Conversion efficiency?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Over 200
RBM wrote:

Either RBM didn't read or didn't comprehend the article. Perhaps she was distracted by a Limbaugh lame-assed rant. ;)
http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
Here's an excerpt:
"FIRST, the Prius carries a much LARGER BATTERY PACK than a regular car, allowing someone to power more appliances for longer than the conventional AC Delco found in most cars. SECOND, unlike some backup battery systems found in homes, the Prius, like other cars, can recharge its batteries with its normal internal combustion engine. And here's the BEST PART -- because the PRIUS AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ITSELF ON WHEN THE BATTERIES DRAIN to a certain level, SWEENEY LEFT THE CAR RUNNING AND IT AUTOMATICALLY TURNED OVER WHEN IT NEEDED TO RECHARGE -- about once every 30 minutes. IF YOU WERE TRYING TO DO WHAT SWEENEY DID WITH A NON-HYBRID, YOU'D FIND YOURSELF SPENDING A LOT MORE TIME OUTSIDE IN THE COLD. I THE EFFICIENCY OF THE AUTO-ON FEATURE MEANT SWEENEY ONLY USED AROUND FIVE GALLONS OF GAS."
Sweeney used considerably more gas to produce the 17 Kwh he used than my Honda EU2000i would have used but I'll wager he used LESS gas than the typical gas-hogging genny would have required to power what he did for "a few days".

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
Actually the ends of the columns were cut off for some reason, so I didn't see that the car starts itself, of the part where Toyota voids the fools warranty for misusing the equipment, and shortening the life of the battery. If he had half a brain, he'd buy equipment intended for the purpose, like a generator.
RBM wrote:

Prius owners are not the sharpest knife in the six-pack.

RBM wrote:

For God's sake, give it up. You've already shown yourself to be a fool. LOL.

You are smart getting 35 mpg in stop and go traffic when everyone else is getting about 10. , Demand, resale value, a car with the absolute highest reliabilty in recent studies. What I see is poor folk driving large 4 wd in the city.
ransley wrote:

you could get the same mileage with a TDI, and a hybrid may be "reliable" but it sure ain't gonna be "durable" once you need new batteries.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Erma1ina wrote:

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
That prolly should read 17 KW, not 17 KWH, huh?
Anyone remember back maybe 35 years ago when you could buy gizmos which tricked a regular automobile alternator into outputting something near 120 volts DC which could be used to power things like power tools with "universal" (AC or DC) electric motors in them?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I built one into my first Ford service van. I installed a separate battery and alternator, so as not to interfere with the vehicle's equipment. You did have to crank up the rpms quite a bit to get over 90 volts, but the damn thing did work
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>>>http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
No. It should read exactly as it does: 17 KWH (Energy) NOT 17 KW (Power). He used 17 KWH of ENERGY during those "few days".

Yes, you are correct here, and Jeff, as an EE understands KW and KWH, however the deceptive wording of the puff story makes it sound like he was getting 17 KWH, and never mentions that he only had a 1 KW inverter. It also makes an incorrect comparison between the "Delco" battery of a normal car and the special battery of the prius, with no concern for the fact that the only 12 volt battery the Prius has, is a gel cell not much bigger than a motorcycle battery, and considerably smaller than the Delco. You can buy into this garbage if you so choose, but some of us live in the world where laws of physics matter