Car generator to power house

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

HeyBub

see it can be done

RVers use inverters constantly

Reply to
hallerb

Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from

Reply to
RBM

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with the car starting about every half hout. Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!! Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal every-day inverter either!!. The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge - so not your typical deep-cycle battery either. Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,

1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)
Reply to
clare

>Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from

The Prius is a genius - it starts itself when the battery gets down to

40% charge. No going out to the cold to start the generator. Ant it is at leasta 13KW generator
Reply to
clare

>Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from

Either RBM didn't read or didn't comprehend the article. Perhaps she was distracted by a Limbaugh lame-assed rant. ;)

Here's an excerpt:

"FIRST, the Prius carries a much LARGER BATTERY PACK than a regular car, allowing someone to power more appliances for longer than the conventional AC Delco found in most cars. SECOND, unlike some backup battery systems found in homes, the Prius, like other cars, can recharge its batteries with its normal internal combustion engine. And here's the BEST PART -- because the PRIUS AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ITSELF ON WHEN THE BATTERIES DRAIN to a certain level, SWEENEY LEFT THE CAR RUNNING AND IT AUTOMATICALLY TURNED OVER WHEN IT NEEDED TO RECHARGE -- about once every

30 minutes. IF YOU WERE TRYING TO DO WHAT SWEENEY DID WITH A NON-HYBRID, YOU'D FIND YOURSELF SPENDING A LOT MORE TIME OUTSIDE IN THE COLD. I THE EFFICIENCY OF THE AUTO-ON FEATURE MEANT SWEENEY ONLY USED AROUND FIVE GALLONS OF GAS."

Sweeney used considerably more gas to produce the 17 Kwh he used than my Honda EU2000i would have used but I'll wager he used LESS gas than the typical gas-hogging genny would have required to power what he did for "a few days".

Reply to
Erma1ina

> >Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect

Actually the ends of the columns were cut off for some reason, so I didn't see that the car starts itself, of the part where Toyota voids the fools warranty for misusing the equipment, and shortening the life of the battery. If he had half a brain, he'd buy equipment intended for the purpose, like a generator.

Reply to
RBM

>> Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from

Hi,

13KW at 12V or 120V?
Reply to
Tony Hwang

>>> Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect

Neither, the car has two motor/generators and a high voltage battery. It also has a 12 volt battery, and as with most of these puff articles, they either don't know or aren't going to divulge any of the pertinent information

Reply to
RBM

That prolly should read 17 KW, not 17 KWH, huh?

Anyone remember back maybe 35 years ago when you could buy gizmos which tricked a regular automobile alternator into outputting something near

120 volts DC which could be used to power things like power tools with "universal" (AC or DC) electric motors in them?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I built one into my first Ford service van. I installed a separate battery and alternator, so as not to interfere with the vehicle's equipment. You did have to crank up the rpms quite a bit to get over 90 volts, but the damn thing did work

Reply to
RBM

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make electricity.

Reply to
ransley

>>> Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd

Watts the difference?

Reply to
HeyBub

Prius owners are not the sharpest knife in the six-pack.

Reply to
HeyBub

There are no good reasons to own a hybrid.

Reply to
HeyBub

fiancial probably not.

however some prius owners are adding some equiptement to charge the battery pack at home from the power line.

Reply to
hallerb

My brother gets to drive solo in the carpool lane in his.

Reply to
Bob F

No. It should read exactly as it does: 17 KWH (Energy) NOT 17 KW (Power). He used 17 KWH of ENERGY during those "few days".

Reply to
Erma1ina

For God's sake, give it up. You've already shown yourself to be a fool. LOL.

Reply to
Erma1ina