Car door bumper strip adhesive

Hello,

The bumper strip on one of my car doors has lost its adhesive and won't stick any more. What do repair shops use to attach them? The strip itself is flexible rubber with a flat back. The grove in the door for the strip has a few holes near each end, but the strip has nothing matching the holes. The entire inside of the bumper strip is rather sticky and apparently was just stuck on the door. I'd like to clean up the strip and apply some new adhesive to fix it. I've just not found anything suitable in the local auto parts store.

Thank you in advance,

David

Reply to
David

Try some double sided foam tape found in most hardware stores. You need the foam to absorb the thermal contractions and expansions. Clean both the paint and the rubber with alcohol before applying the tape

Although I never tried it on car trim, I might give E6000 adhesive a try. found in most craft stores. Sure worked good on my sneakers.

Reply to
jmagerl

Don't use super glue,super glue breaks down after a relativly short time. Go to your local automotive store and buy 3M body trim adhesive, it is the one with the red plastic covering the tape. I use it for all kinds of things, once attached it is water resistant and holds tight in all climates and temps.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Oh, I forgot about the two holes, cars have different types of molding , you got the cheaper type. The holes are there for the more expensive trim that had inserts, which are attached to the trim and "pop" into the holes on the door.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I use 3M Fast Tack Trim Adhesive. Kind of surprised that an auto parts store wouldn't steer you in that direction...

RicodJour
3M weather strip adhesive. Get the yellow, not the black. Put it on liberally, press the strip into place, then pull it back off for 2 or 3 minutes. THEN stick it on, but make sure you have it where you want it because it's not going to move ever again. Clean up with brake cleaner and re-wax the finish.
Reply to
Steve Barker LT

All decent suggestions. However, the best way is to go to an automotive paint store and get some double sided tape. It is a black, really thin tape made just for your type of trim. All automotive paint stores will have the proper stuff for sticking trim back on to vehicles that have been painted. Even though yours hasn't been painted, you are in a similar situation.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. The clerk at the store I visited must have been new and not aware of these things. I'll search for the products you've mentioned.

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
David

Automotive store, 3M Trim Adhesive, done...

Reply to
Richard Blaine

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:45:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "David" quickly quoth:

3M UltraPro Trim and Emblem Adhesive
Or a high-performance acrylic-adhesived double-sided tape.
(Disclaimer: no connection with 3M)

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

replying to Steve Barker LT, Thomas wrote: Is the black inferior as my car is black

Reply to
Thomas

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

You are so stuck on yourself... Superglue or Monsterglue

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

rabid gerbils because they were offended that he said yellow was better th an black. I wouldn't tell anyone what adhesive I use. I'd keep it hidden so no one can see it. ?(?)?

I was going to quote that but the stones in my head just let it go too fast . I do notice the resemblance.

Reply to
Tekkie®