Car compass

Page 3 of 3

I had no problem attaching one to my dashboard with 2-sided tape. A compass isn't a GPS, and serves a different purpose. Sometime you just want to know in what direction you're heading. A compass does that best.
Vic Smith wrote:

Yeah, and mine has a time function too, but I use the dash clock. I only use the GPS for the mapping it provides to an address, which means I usually don't bring it. Unless your GPS has an electronic compass (mine doesn't) you have be moving to get a bearing, and you have to have a signal. It's a differential compass. Electronic compasses have to be kept calibrated, and need a steady mounting. My floating ball magnetic compass does a better job telling me what direction I'm going. I'm happy with it.
Vic Smith wrote:

On 6/10/2015 11:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

If you are standing on the North Pole facing the Sun on June 21, which way is South, to your right or left?
What about GPS's that show bridges across rivers where the bridge has been removed??

On 06/10/2015 09:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

They have folding fins so they can glide onto a target from the top of the ballistic arc. I don't know how much maneuvering is possible. I'd assume you would have to be fairly close with the unassisted ballistic trajectory.
rbowman wrote:

I served in the 105mm howitzer field artillery unit. With OP's help we can hit target pretty close pretty quick. I heard that shell costs lot of money and hope it's money's worth.
On 06/11/2015 12:54 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

If it works, it would be comforting when you're calling in artillery 100 meters from your position.
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 19:35:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

I have an aviation GPS that still shows Meigs Feild. I'l be updating it before it gets used in the plane (hopefully next spring)
On 6/10/2015 10:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Meigs is still there... It's just that that a**hole Daley has it scattered all over the city.
On 06/10/2015 08:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I haven't looked lately but there was one down the road like that. It had been closed to vehicle traffic about 25 years ago and washed out completely in '95 but it was still showing up on some of the digital maps.
Urban areas get updated frequently, rural areas not so much.