Braille parking?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 06/11/2015 02:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

You betcha. I was sitting in the truck one day when some woman was braille unparking and backed into me. She continued on her merry way so i don't know if there was any damage to her car. Sure as hell wasn't a problem for the F150.
On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

actually, my Avalon did come with a back up camera [it must be standard on all Avalons]
but it's not easy getting used to. i have mirrors, over my shoulder, and now a camera? almost too many things to look at
marc
On 6/9/2015 3:24 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Wife's Subaru also has the compass mirror but she uses her Nuvi.
I would never get a built in car gps. Son had one in his Mercedes and it needed repair while under warranty. Dealer said it was good that it was still under warranty as it would have otherwise have cost him $3,000 to repair. It was a nice system with Blue Tooth and voice control but you can get the same thing in a Garmin Nuvi for 1/10th the price of the repair. Think I paid about $125 for mine with LMT.

Cost of repairs is one reason I now longer own a Mercedes. The better dealers though, give you some KY jelly when you get the bill.
As stated before, you don't need the car nav, but in some cases you have to forgo a lot of other options as it is part of a package, They don't split the package, it is an expensive YES or NO.
On 6/10/2015 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Porsche he had - $100 just to change oil.
On 6/9/2015 12:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Or if you have even a simple mobile phone you can get a free app that provides compass functionality. Of course most of the smarter phones will have GPS too but if you just want to know what direction you are pointed...
On 6/9/2015 12:39 PM, KenK wrote:

way off my route. Walmart has car compass, several versions, in the auto parts section. Actually, most auto parts stores should have compass. I have a magnetic compass in both vehicles.
Daytime, you can ballpark the direction by where is the sun, and what time is it.

On 6/9/2015 12:39 PM, KenK wrote:

Others have mentioned a GPS, a very good idea. In many cars you can have a compass in the mirror. As a bonus, they are the elecrochromatic mirrors that dime when an a-hole in back of you has his high beams on.

probably as good as the other, but since I drive a convertible, I like to attach a convex rear view mirror over the existing mirror,so I get a complete panorama of what is behind me (no blind spots) and this will not work with one style of the compass mirrors, because it displays the heading in the mirror area. The other brand displays the heading below the mirror and that works well.
Unfortunately the mirror compass itself didn't work. (I bought this maybe 3 years ago so if they had a bad batch or a bad one, this shouldn't be a problem for you. OTOH, keep your receipt.) First it wouldn't do metric, but who cares about that. In a couple months, it would only turn on one time out of three. Should have exchanged it then. May have to buy another one at this stage, and then exchange the bad one, ending up with two of them. So I may have one for sale at a reduced price.
It helps if you already have an electric rear-view mirror. Mine was self-dimming, so there were 12 volts right at the mirror. Still had to fildde with the connector, but one end of that came with the mirror. I think I just used metal pins I extracted from something that I soldered to the wire and inserted in the original mirror connector. A total of less than an inch long. Nothing visible to those in the car, and because of the tinted top of the windshield, nothing visible from the outside either.
IIIRC all the mirror compasses are calibrated by driving in a circle. Very easy. And clever of whoever thought of it (originally for dash-mounted mirrors))
One or more models will also display the outside temperature, but a) I can tell that before I get in the car, b) by sticking my hand out the window, or c) the Climate Control AC shows that, which is about the only thing about it better than manual AC. Otherwise manual is better.
There might be one more thing (time?) that some models display, that you'll have to decide if you want before you buy.
I havent' seen either brand at autoparts stores, only at JCWhitney.com and Amazon.
If not the mirror, definitely don't get the standard Airguide compass from the 1960's, with the adjustable magnets in the bottom. Too many electrical things in the dash to count on a good field. Way back when, around 1969, I wrote them to ask if a more expensive compass would work better and they said No. That all their compasses were the same and the only difference was the case.
There was also an dash-mounted electronic compass, with 2 adjustable magnets for sale at Radio Shack and elswhere under a different brand name, and I have one and it worked well, but they don't sell them anymore for maybe 10 or 20 years. It has a rotating disk in the front, vertical face of the compass, and the top is slanted in back, to go close to the windshield. If you see one used, I'd buy it.
What you can get instead, and I've only seen this at real truck stops, not even autoparts stores in town, is a dash mounted compass that is adjusted by driving in a circle. Like the mirror-type, you don't have to fiddle with the N/S magnet and then the E/W magnet, etc. etc. I would no longer hesitate to drill a hole in the dash, if I had to, but when I needed a cup holder, I was able to make a bracket that attached to the dash with a piece of sheet metal that folded around the dash, went under a bezel, and was bolted in by one of the radio bolts. It worked great. If found some scrap from brown aluminum siding and bent it to fit. Of course the cup holder was primarily on the face of the dash, and not the top of the dash. So you may be back to drilling. Try not to drill through the radio.
Or you can buy a Chrysler mini-van and some other vehicles.
I have no interest in GPS, but my friend tells me his cell phone app, whose name I can get if you want, is cheaper and better than the GPS he has. The difference is something like, The GPS just says to turn left in 1000 feet, but the cell phone says that and also what the name of the street is that one is turning on to. That's going to be especially valuable when you're in an area you know somewhat, and will know the named street when you get to it. Or if the streets have street signs. He likes it a lot better, and it's part of the phone.
On 06/09/2015 10:39 AM, KenK wrote:

Like others have said, the base model Nuvi GPS will run you about $90. Compasses are great if you're on a dirt bike and don't mind riding through backyards, jumping ditches, and otherwise bee-lining. Get into one of those subdivisions with all the cul-de-sacs and they won't do you any good. Then there are the other little annoyances like rivers, canyons, freeways, and Walmarts in your line of travel.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 11:41:03 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older garmins were a bit better than the current model.
i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.
during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas, saved time. etc etc
GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!
On 6/10/2015 12:11 AM, bob haller wrote:

I avoid double negatives like the plague.
Don't do no double negatives, nohow.
On 06/09/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

I drove OTR back in the '90s. I would have given my left nut for a GPS and an (inexpensive) cell phone. I wonder if they have GPS data sets that know enough to not route you through 12' underpasses and residential areas?

that know where all the low overpasses etc are, and you can enter your truck length, width and height, as well as weight, and the program will route you accordingly. The system my brother used ran on a laptop with a remote "gps mouse" on the USB port.
On 6/10/2015 9:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

Pretty sure that's the case with (at least) Garmin's. The portables I've owned allow for car, motorcycle and truck in addition to pedestrian. I assume with the truck it's taking those into consideration.
Another nice feature is the FM Traffic service. Limited to the metro areas, it is really quite good at warning and routing you around delays. Mine will tell me that there's a jam up on I-90 and say ~ how long. My call to steady the course or bail and let it re-route me.
That's the other thing... I have disabled the "Make a U-Turn" whenever I can on my GPS units. That way it's not trying to get me back on the route it selected but rather keeping me onward, ever onward<g>

Around here if there's a jam on I90 you're screwed. Any rerouting would be a real adventure.
On 6/10/2015 10:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

Supposedly yes. They are, of course, morw expensive than the cheap ones most people need. Truckers ave a couple of bucks then call when they can't make a turn someplace en route to us.
Guys don't ask for directions=guys need a GPS...pretty basic.