Car compass

Page 1 of 3
Last week on the way to downtown I found my main east/west road was closed. Trying to avoid a two mile drive to and from the next e/w main road I ducked into the residential area nearby. This is a dry agricultural area so there are lots of irrigation ditches and I kept getting blocked by them. Quickly became lost. Finally ended up on the next main road I was trying to avoid driving to but with many side trips on the way. <sigh> I had wished I had a compass. Can you still put one in the car? There used to be many more places to fasten one around the windshield than nowdays on a modern car.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 11:39:22 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Get a GPS and you get directions and a compass.
On 6/9/2015 12:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I second that. I have a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps and traffic. It probably would have routed me around the blockages.
Frank wrote:

My car came with a built in compass but I did not get GPS option which costs few G. Instead I got a 5" Garmin Nuvi GPS with LMT. Auto parts store or RV store will have compass.

Unless I was going to trade every 2 years I would not get a built in GPS, especially if it was more than $ 200. You can get several for way under that and lifetime map updates. Then if you do trade cars you can take it with you.
a GPS comes in real handy at times
but if you only need it - say once a year, maybe not needed
marc

Just like the spare. I have a 2007 and 2008 truck and car that the spare has never been on the ground, but don't intend on taking them out. If you need it, you need it even if only once every 20 years. Just like insurance.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 1:04:54 PM UTC-7, Ralph Mowery wrote:

good point
i wouldn't be without a GPS now
used it a few times and i don't want to be without
marc
On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 16:04:49 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Exactly. Once near Plymouth Rock, all the roads went in S-curves and the fog was thick (so Icouldn't tell where the sun was) and the guy I asked had me follow him to get to a numbered highway. And twice I've come to a road thinking turning left will be south, when it was really north, but that's only 3 or 5 times in 20 years. Plus the two times I left the house for blind dates and didnt' take the address with me. Once I somehow remembered the complicated instructions and the other time I had to go door to door asking, Does Jane Crawford live here? Where does she live? Only took two houses to find her.

Yeah, but you can ask someone where you are. You can't ask him to run along side the car, holding up one corner.

micky wrote:

Smart phones can have GPS now.
On 6/9/2015 4:04 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Many cars now have a can of fix-a-flat instead of a spare. Useless when you cut a sidewall like I did last December. It is the first time I put a spare on in over 25 years, but I'd have not gotten home without it.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

This MDX has DVD based GPS costing over 4G, the thing is DVD is not that reliable in a car and updating is extra. No way I'll pay that kinda money for a GPS. When I went to Korea for a visit, I noticed their GPS is really nice, it even tells where speed trap is, surveillance camera is, direction is much more detailed. I guess 'cos it is a small country.
On 6/9/2015 3:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Not that simple. In most cars today the navigation is a part of a package. If you want the other items in the package you have to pay for the high price of the nav. Updates from the dealer are very expensive.
On my car, the Limited, it was included, but on the lesser models it is part of a $4100 technology package.

The old 'package extra charge'. Seems that they will have a package you have to get to get one or two things you really want. Most of the package deals can be argued down in price as there is often a very high markup in them. In 1972 I ordered a car and it came in with an electronic ignition system that was not included in the origional price of the car. The dealer told me I had to have it with the engine I wanted. He showed me a book of prices. It started off at about $ 50 and he flipped over to 3 or 4 other prices. He finally did show me a price of about $ 10 that it was actually suspose to cost the dealer.
I don't know how it is for some cars, but for the Toyotas ( all I have bought for the last 25 years) it is difficult to get anything special. They come in certain packages and that is about it. The dealer may be able to add a few minor things, but that is about it.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 8:37:28 PM UTC-7, Ralph Mowery wrote:

last year a bought a new toyota avalon, without any navigation, which would have been 1.000s more
so i treated myself to a $200+ garmin GPS, with voice navigation, and a very large screen
i really like it, and i can use it in other cars i haven't tried the voice command thing
marc

IIRC, you give up having a backup camera that comes with the navigation. That will change in another model year or so. I won't buy a car without the camera.
On 06/10/2015 12:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Guess they're ok but...there's one in the Enclave but I simply find I never pay any attention to it since its output is a section of the center rearview mirror; I (like most truck drivers I suppose) use the side mirrors automagically as you get to where you simply "know" there's nothing visible directly behind you excepting the front wall of the truck bed (here, most frequently the grain box). Also, with dirt roads, the lens is always covered with dust and if it gets muddy it gets splattered as well. I did happen to notice today when in town with it for a meeting that if one looked _very_ carefully, one could still see a few smatterings of something totally indistinguishable between the opaque spots--and that's _after_ I happened to swipe a finger across the lens getting back in out after coming out of the post office a day or so before... :)
The audio avoidance warning is really more useful in many ways imo as even when it was clean and first got the vehicle I found the distortion in it to be of limited use. I suppose for the instance of the kiddo in the driveway, but we have none of them any longer...there are some neighbors with them on trucks and for a bumper hitch they turn out to be the cats meow they say...

On 6/10/2015 1:24 PM, dpb wrote:

OK, you give me another reason not to buy Buicks any more. I have a very clear 7" screen in my Sonata. After driving 25 miles in the snow it will be a bit blurry but a swipe of the finger restores it. The screen is shared by the navigation. New models have an 8" screen.
A surprisingly large number of kids are killed every year so there is definite payback for many drivers. Also nice when parallel parking in tight spots, the yellow and red lines are very accurate.
On 06/10/2015 7:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem w/ the Enclave is one of most SUV body styles; the upright rear is far worse for blow back on the rear as compared to a sedan. That we're also on dirt roads doesn't help. The snow'll come off easily, it's the dried/caked mud I've not wet down to wipe off the lens that's the problem above.
The size is a little of an issue if one really cares about using it, but I'm just too old and set in my ways to really care/pay any attention.

On 06/10/2015 11:24 AM, dpb wrote:

With the step and tow bumper on my old F150, the audio avoidance is when I back into something.