Car battery

Page 4 of 5

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:32:58 +0000, Van Chocstraw wrote:

13 years on the one in my wife's Toyota now (coming up on 200k miles, car used daily, northern climate so harder cranking in winter, but the cold probably helps too - heat seems to be a real battery killer).
cheers
Jules
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:11:32 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

'96 Toyota is on it's second battery. '94 Ford Bronco is on it's third battery. This is in the desert of Nevada. Had the originals replaced with Sears Die-Hard brand.

Many years ago a neighbor was a manager at a auto battery factory. I mentioned to him one day that at the local Sears auto department they had a battery on display that was guaranteed for 5 years but had lasted for 9 or 10.
His comment was that he hated to see that. His preference was to have the battery fail during the last year of the warranty. That way you would have just enough credit from this old battery that you would take it in and put its value aginst a new battery of the same make.
Once the battery outlasted the warranty period you were free to buy anybody's battery and not just his.
Charlie
Also one suspects that exactly the same battery at say $120 that has an extended warranty is the one that is sold with hardly any warranty at all at $89.99!
Also, agree there is no absolute figure for battery life. Higher temperatures do degrade a lead/acid auto type battery significantly. In the Arabian Gulf two years was common. Whereas in this part of Canada replacing a battery is for us a rarity. Here even a used vehicle will often corrode/wear out before the battery dies!
In this cool summer and not too low winter temperature climate our eight year old Nissan V6 pickup battery suddenly failed this June. It was late on Saturday and after getting a boost to start the pickup, drove to a local Walmart as the closest place a battery was available, left the truck running and locked and went in (Auto section closed!) Took a battery off the open rack, checked it out through the cashier, having verified the model number, took it home, gave it a slow overnight charge and the next day installed it.
Having now (after 8 years) had a battery failure I must get around to installing that over ride switch to push or roll start the vehicle. We almost always have had manual transmission vehicle, that could be pushed or roll started even on a low or almost dead battery. This one cannot, darn it!
Oh by the way, even though auto batteries are a nominal 12 volts, after installing the new battery the charging voltage was 14.57 volts, that 's about 2.43 volts per each of the 6 cells. After boosting to get started with the old 'dead' battery the charging voltage was 15.75 volts (way too high) probably indicating that the old battery wasn't accepting a charge.
The worst treatments for lead-acid batteries are; a) Overcharging, it kills them. b) Leaving them for months unused. They self discharge and die. c) Putting them away or parking the vehicle with the battery flat/run down. They will hardly ever be rechargeable again.
On 07/08/10 12:33 pm, terry wrote:

Many years ago I went to the store (Sears, maybe) for a new battery. The guy got the correct-sized battery down, asked how long a warranty I wanted, and then punched out the date thingies accordingly,
Perce
terry wrote:

I remember back in the mid 70's the battery makers came out with lifetime guaranteed batteries. That didn't last long. Now days with fuel injection cars start much much easier and that makes it a lot easier on the batteries. I use a battery maintainer if the vehicle is going to parked for over a month or two and also use one over winter on the riding lawnmower battery. Some vehicles drain them quicker than others when they sit, parasitic loads. I had a friend with a late model Caddy and it would drain the battery in less than 2 weeks. My Ford/Mazda pickup can sit for.... I don't know it never did drain the battery while sitting except when the door didn't shut completely a couple of times. Now that's hard on a battery, running it completely dead.

My best friend bought sunoco true blue batteries at that time, he still has the vehicles:)
When his first lifetime battery died sunoco gave him a free battery and complete refund for original purchase sunoco went out of the battery business.
sunoco got sued and lost. he got paperwork on how to get warranty replacements and has been getting free batteries ever since:)
Although the last time he called no one appeared to know how to handle it. Employees suggested the warranty was now definetely over.
On Jul 8, 12:59pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I got 3 free replacements on my lifetime guaranteed battery. However on the 3rd replacement they refunded my original purchase price as long as I waived any more replacements. I accepted since I was getting rid of the vehicle anyway.
I'll agree with that. I killed a marine trolling battery by leaving a Harbor Freight float charger on it. That hydrolyzed all the water and "boiled" it to dryness. Never worked after that.
Also batteries that discharge under some voltage (eight?) seldom come back to life.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

== A friend had a Chryco battery that lasted 18 years...unbelievable but true. I changed the battery for her and used a new Chrysler made battery and it lasted 1 year. Since then she has had an UFA battery made my Exide I believe, and it has lasted 5 years so far. Yes it is an old car but still runs well. ==
Typicaly about 6 months less than whatever is on the warranty. I'm not being sarcastic, that's my real-life experience.
I find 4 to 5 years for mine. I'd replace both of yours, today. Get a good brand like Interstate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 07/08/10 03:54 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have heard/read that Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls, as are AutoZone and Energizer (the latter sold at Sam's Club -- and Costco??)
Perce
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:14:08 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Just because they're made by the same company doesn't mean they're the same batteries. They aren't, and they're not treated the same before sale.

interstate brand isnt a guarantee of anything.
many years ago my spiffey new interstate battery repeatedly let me down at wierd times. auto parts store refused to replace it blaming everything but the battery.
one day I got stuck and got towed in told sears just replace the battery problem over:)
I gave the battery to a friend he cut it open doing a autopsey, two plates were slightly bent, when temps got high they must of touched and shorted.
That was 30 + years ago, I never bought a interstate after that!
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:31:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
I never bought an "interstate" battery in the first place.

Hi, my late brother once worked at Exide battery plant. His back is in chemistry. Once he said if two batteries have same rating heavier one is better one.

Generally speaking, that is true.
Energizer automobile battery? I've not heard of those. Just keeps on running?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus