Car battery

Hi, My runabout '98 Honda CRV still has original battery. Not even garaged even in winter. Only thing I have done is topped up each cell with distilled water few times and keep the battery top clean all the time. I think batteries take more beating under HOT climate, like in Arizona.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

my late brother once worked at Exide battery plant. His back is in chemistry. Once he said if two batteries have same rating heavier one is better one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

mentioned this discussion to a friend tonight who just bought 2 new car batteries at K mart. 2 die hards.

Anyhow he reports they have a chart at the battery display showing average life expectncy of car batteries.

the southern states are the shortest, the longest in canada.

hot weather really is tough on batteries.

2 years in places like phoenix, 6 years in toronto canada
Reply to
hallerb

until they quit starting the vehicle. could be a month, could be 15 years.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I think it did hit 100°F here in Alabama today. I stayed inside most of the day hugging the AC.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Years ago I worked with a guy who came in one day bragging about his brand new Vette. We followed him out to the parking lot where he showed us his brand new CHEVette. Funny guy.

Reply to
salty

Batteries work by chemical reaction that is accelerated by heat and slowed by cold.

If you are in a very cold place and your car won't turn over, you can sometimes get going by bringing the battery inside the house for a few hours and warming it up.

Reply to
salty

Generally speaking, that is true.

Reply to
salty

Wow, that sounds kinky! Could be anti-environmental. Do you swing both ways, and hug trees now and again?

I think we need a don't ask, don't tell policy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard to turn on the headlights for a few minutes to warm the battery. I've never tried it, don't know if this works.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But those pairs of vehicles you are comparing didn't have the same advertised specs., did they?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 7/9/2010 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: >>I think it did hit 100°F here in Alabama today. I stayed inside most >>of the day hugging the AC. >>

The AC god is worshiped more or as much as the football god here in Alabamastan. The Hillbillies, Plainsmen and Coastal Critters would draw and quarter a heretical Yankee as a blasphemer if he/she/it were to speak ill of our tangible religious icons. When you cross our border, you must stop, kneel, bow your head and pay homage to our gods or suffer the consequences.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Typical July and August forecast, hot, hazy, 98 degrees, 98% RH. AC is definately your friend.

Basilisk, near Tuscaloosa

Reply to
basilisk

Same in Houston. We didn't build the first air-conditioned sports stadium to be ostentatious.

Admittedly, we're not as bad off as, say, New Orleans, but then folks in New Orleans don't know any better. Heck, many of them came to Houston after Katrina and found out how the rest of the world lives. ("Whach you mean, officer, I can't be moseying thru my 'hood with a toke and a malt?")

Reply to
HeyBub

it CAN help - but usually the current drawn by the lights is not enough to heat it up, and is enough to lower the charge availble for starting if it is.

Reply to
clare

They all have 4 doors and seats and an engine. Perhaps even all advertized as 4 seaters.

Reply to
clare

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I've had the same experience, but I don't think it has to do with heating the battery. I think it has more to do with opening a small path of electricity so that the larger starter's electricity path can get through. It's kinda like priming the battery. I know the above sounds silly, but a lot of things that work sound silly on the face of it.

Reply to
willshak

Hi, We had to add a/c unit for the house here 3 years ago. Summer temp. however short duration is becoming uncomfy for a month or so. Temp. of

30C was very rare in the past but it is becoming common occurence lately. Even today I am watching Stampede parade in the house with a/c running. I notice not many bands from down South are taking part this year. Maybe due to sluggish economy?
Reply to
Tony Hwang

But you'd better bow the right direction!

I third that comment. ...from the dark side (Auburn).

Reply to
keith

You're right. That really does sound silly.

BTW, a sig separator is "" The return is important.

Reply to
keith