Car AC/Heater systems

Page 3 of 3
On 2/25/2016 2:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, until the skunk is overcooked.

That's a good idea. I don't driive long distances in one shot anymore, but I remember times I was quite drowsy. Had to turn on the cold air from outside.

The car makers are looking at saving another 0.004% of gas by making it so the AC ALWAYS starts on recirc no matter what you want. Recir will put slightly less load on the compressor for the overall drive.
I HATE recirc and never ever use it unless the temp is over 105 and I have to use it to stay cool.
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 10:21:11 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On the first really nice day of spring.
Cindy Hamilton
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 7:13:10 PM UTC-5, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

I'd say it depends. If it's summer and just the AC is running, setting it warmer will help with gas mileage, the compressor will run less.
If it's fall and the heat is on, then maybe it could result in a slight decrease in mpg. If the AC compressor switch is off, it will have no effect. But if the AC compressor switch is on, then the AC is running a bit to chill the air to remove moisture before it gets heated. So, having warmer air in the car, theoretically would mean that the AC compressor has to work more to cool the air down. But any effect is very slight and would be almost impossible to measure in mpg.
On 2/25/2016 7:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:

That aside, I get better mileage in summer that with the crappy winter blend gas we get in New England.
Years ago, some compressors used to kick out if you floored the accelerator so you had enough power to pass. You could feel it cycle under normal driving even with a big V-8. Those days are long gone unless you have a really tiny engine.
In winter, I set the climate control to 70, in summer I set it to 72. I never feel the difference with the AC cycling, just enjoy the comfort. Really like the heated steering wheel on the very cold days.

Setting it warmer just changes the air blend. It may have a TINY impact on fuel mileage, but so small you won't be able to quantify it.

You would get even worse gas mileage using simmer gas in the cold weather. The bad gas mileage, particularly in town or on short trips, is due to the engine needing to run significantly richer when cold, and the engine taking longer to warm up. The "winter gas" does not need to be as rich to get a decent running cold engine.

Some still cut out the AC at full throttle,

I have no need to adjust the HVAC (anywhere) as I have a wife, one daughter, 3 DIL and half dozen grand daughters. H*ll I have no need to make even one driving decision.