Car AC/Heater systems

Page 1 of 3
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn the temp dial to "warmer" to make the air coming out less cold will that make the AC work harder and make your gas mileage worse? Why?
Ashton,
Question - If the AC in the car is making you too cold and you turn

No.
Dave M.
On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

NO. it just moves a door to mix in some warmer air. Aside from that, the AC in cars today is very efficient and makes little difference to the mpg. Comfort is more important that a tiny difference in fuel cost.

All my smaller cars show acceleration decrease with compressor on.
An older car of mine, the temp slider controlled the thermostat off the evaporator. Never liked door mover systems. I'm going to assume, climate control also uses the thermostat method. The moving door technique should limit the air going through evaporator, thus limiting compressor usage.
Greg

been for decades. The compressor turns off and on th controll pressures - and therefore heat transfer. Virtually all climate control systems use "air blend" technology Some systems used fixed orifice, some use an automatic orifice, and some use a temperature controlled expansion valve TXV) which senses the temperature of the evaporator and controls the amount of refrigerant allowed int the evaporator to prevent icing etc. There is also something called an "expansion block"system
The AC system controls the pressures and temperatures of the refrigerant for most efficient operation - the blens doors control the temperature of the air inside the vehicle. Newer compressor and control technology improve the efficiency.
On 2/24/2016 7:13 PM, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

will produce a bigger drag and decrease mileage than using the AC.

I've had my windows closed since 1967!!! Can't stand wind noise.
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:27:56 -0700, ">>>Ashton Crusher"

Much of the time, I drive with the top down and the windows closed.
Much quieter with the windows closed, especially if cars are next to you.
On 2/24/2016 8:27 PM, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

Same here. Love climate control, just never think about it any more. Maybe once or twice a year I'll open the windows for a short ride.

I don't understand climate control.
If i get in the car and it's cold, am I supposed to leave the temp set to, say, 70, and the heater will put out very hot air until it gets (close to???) 70 and the temperature of the air will (slowly???) decrease and be only warm when the sensor says 70?
It seems to me the air is never that hot unless I turn the temp up to 80, and that if I leave it on 70, it will take forever to warm up, but I'll admit I haven't kept tabs that closely.
I also don't like the Toyota climate control because it keeps changing whether i get outside air or not. You would think whatever setting it had when I turned the car off would be the setting when I turn it back on, but No. (I think it depends on the outside and inside temps, but knowing for sure would mean detailed records. )
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 8:33:27 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

That's how all the ones in the cars I've had worked. When there is a big temp difference, the heater valve is full open and the blower is on a high speed. As it gets closer to the set temp, the heater valve is either cycled or partially closed and the blower speed decreases.
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 10:06:31 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

I've got one vehicle with automatic climate control and three without.
When driving the vehicles with just the 3 basic controls (fan speed, temperature and mode) there needs to be some tweaking done occasion as conditions change, such as sunshine, outside temperature, etc. I'm talking about during a given driving session, not day-to-day.
When driving the vehicle with the fully automatic climate control, there needs to be some tweaking done in occasion as conditions change, such as sunshine, outside temperature, etc. I'm talking about during a given driving session, not day-to-day.
In other words, there is no such thing as "set it and forget it" in any of the vehicles, automatic or manual. The automatic climate control is not like a house thermostat where it maintains fairly consistent conditions. There are too many variables associated with a moving vehicle for the climate control system (at least mine) to be a completely hands-off system.
I've got nothing against new technology, in fact I'm in favor of automating as much as my life as possible. However, in my vehicles, I prefer the 3 basic controls. If I'm forced to tweak things anyway, I'd prefer basic, simple to use controls.
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:54:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Hmmm. AFAIK, the automatic is on all the time, with no way to turn it off, and yet I don't think it's ever made the fan run faster (even though the fan speed control is electronic and it could). That's good actually, because I'd rather be cold a little longer than have to listen to a louder fan. (IIRC, the Lebarons had 4-speed fans and the first 3 speeds were quiet enough not to bother me. This Solara has a 5-speed fan, whoop-de-do, and only the first 2 speeds are quiet.)
But otherwise, your explanation is what I expected.

I guess this answers it. A friend with a Lincoln Town Car warned me not to get automatic, but I like high-end cars and most convertibles come with automatic AC, so I had no choice.

Me too. It also turns the AC on whenever I turn on the defrost, and I know that helps a bit but I still have to turn it off. The worst problem lately is the indoor/outdoor air setting.
I'll keep this in mind for the next cars but I'm not optimistic.
Thanks, both of you.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

depending on sun shine or shade they adjust the difference. What I like in auto climate control is, even if very cold outside as soon as I drive I can get warm air. Even prewarm the windshield to prevent fogging. For this I have to push one more button and leave it. Heat/Cool seat, steering wheel, sync'ing front and rear seat temp. settings, etc.
On 2/25/2016 11:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I beg to differ. My last two cars (2013, 2015) have been amazingly accurate. Once to temperature, they take care of any adjusting for sun load, humidity, whatever. I never touch the controls all winter or all summer when I keep it a few degrees warmer.
My present car I bought on Sept 28. I adjusted the control the next day and have not touched it since. My wife a couple of times has turned up the temp on her side, but I just set it back by touching the sync button when she it not with me. My last car was the same. I do recall a couple of older cars where I did twek a bit though.
Oh, it also turns the defroster on when needed too. Only once did I do that manually. It senses the windshield ready to fog.
Only thing I do when the car is still cold is turn on the heated seats and heated steering wheel, but after 10 minutes, I turn them off too. It kept the temperature just as good at 12 below too!
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 2:19:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It sure could be the age of the vehicles. Mine is an '06.
7 - 10 years is a long time in car age, technology wise.

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:58:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

My 02 is pretty consistent too. (Ford) The '96 Mystique was good too. So was the '88 New Yorker. Even the climate control on the 85 LeBaron was pretty good - but on the 2600cc 4banger you could feel when the AC cycled.

Tinted glass helps - - - Also the fact that MOST higher end vehicles with climate control have a sun load sensor that acts a bit like an anticipator

heats the mirrors. The seat gets slowly warmed by the hiney sitting in it, and gloves handle the cold steering wheel.
On the 20 year old Ranger with McGiver AC I have full control over when the AC runs and I sometimes turn it on to help clear the windshield. The fact it only has rubber mats helps reduce fogging on the inside of the glass. (doesn't hold moisture to end up as vapour on the glass)

(70 or above) you have it set for. There MAY be a small difference, but on my Ford I have never noticed it. My wife likes to fiddle with the settings because she THINKS it will warm up faster, and BELIEVES it does, so she FEELS it does. What really happens is it just gets warmer, so SHE warms up faster.

UNLESS you set it to MAX AC. The system will never restart in MAX AC mode by itself, nor should it. The system is most efficient in the normal mode.
Outside air is NORMAL AC. It is also NORMAL HEAT. Without outside air, particularly without the AC working, the humidity builds VERY quickly, the air gets stale, and the car starts to smell like a dead man's arm-pit. Not to mention the carpets stay wet, the windows fog up, and the car, generally, becomes unpleasant.
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:20:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd like to say that I will try, but the engine doesn't even get hot for 1/4, 1/2 mile and by then I've forgotten everything I was thinking when I got in the car. But I'll try to try.

Not this one. I used to leave it on outside all the time (I never use max AC, fan is too loud) but there's some leak dripping oil somewhere hot and the smell was entering the car, so now it's supposed to be on inside all the time, and the smell is gone. I suppose some small amount of outside air could be coming in but it's not enough to smell the oil. When I tried to leave it on Outside, I guess that was when it kept switching to Inside. Keeping it on Inside, it doesn't switch on its own as mch, if at all.
But when I fix the leak I'm going back to Outside, and it's going back to arguing with me.

Do you mean inside?