Caps for propane bottles?

My propane bottles (for torch) make me a bit nervous since I have had a few that started leaking. Usually this was the camp-stove type bottles but the y seem to use the same sort of valve as the taller torch bottles. Do they s ell metal caps for these bottles? I would like to start keeping them all ca pped as a safety precaution. Thanks.
Davej wrote:

It's very unlikely the valve was leaking - unless you've been refilling them . More likely the bottles got too warm and vented some propane from the relief valve . Move them to a cooler place and see if it doesn't stop .
--
Snag

On 1/7/15 2:57 PM, Davej wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

No, tery - there have been LOTS of them leak at the valve when removed from an appliance half used. My solution is to only remove them when empty. The cheap green Coleman cyls have been the worst - don't think I've had a genuine Bernsomatic leak yet - one or two "feneric" torch tanks and at least half a dozen Colemeams though.
DEFINITELY leaking from the exit valve.
On 1/7/2015 5:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Agree, I've had a bunch leak. some times, a shot of WD-40 into the valve, and move the center stem with a tip of a wire will help.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's been years since I've used one , didn't realize there have been problems . The only device I own that uses one is a Coleman lantern , and it's still in Memphis AFAIK . Another example of manufacturing to the lowest price point ?
--
Snag

From a review " using the supplied washer, they can seal a propane canister better than the original plastic caps."
Aren't the orignal plastic caps still the white plastic caps that do no more than protect the threads? They don't keep the tanks from leaking.
Is there a later original plastic cap?

Those plastic caps wont stop gas from escaping. LLike you said, they just protect the threads.

Not true. I've had quite a few of them leak after I remove a torch head or whatever. This more often happens if they were used outdoors in cold weather. It seems that frost builds up on the valve. If they start leaking, I take them outdoors and use a nail or something, and press down on the valve, then let it snap closed. That often stops the leak. But as soon as I have a leaker, even if I fix it with the nail, I leave it outdoors. If the weather is bad, I just put a bucket over it. -OR- I'll put one of my torch heads on a leaker. I have one torch head that leaks a little when shut off, so I dont use that one.
BTW, these are not refilled bottles.