Capping Water Lines

Hi I need to get remove a sink and am not to sure on how to cap the pipes off. The supply lines are copper pipes. I know there are caps for them but if i put the cap on and solder it will it be stong enough to not blow off from the pressure of the water? As to the drain is there a cap that I can use that will keep sewer gas from getting in to the room?

Reply to
super2324us

Instead of capping the copper, install shutoff valves (stops) which use compression fittings. No soldering, plus you have shutoffs for next time.

A wet rag stuffed in the drain is sufficient. For a more permanent solution, get a Fernco Quick Cap:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Super,

Yes the copper caps will withstand the pressure if you are a competent solderer. I've never capped off a drain pipe but it's not hard to get a gas tight seal. I think they use rubber caps attached with hose clamps.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Yes to both. How to do it and what to use depends on the particular situation. I suggest that if you are questioning this, that you should not be doing your own soldering.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

IMHO,

For the cut water lines, I think you're missing an opportunity to put in some valves. As for the caps, I have capped water lines and they've lasted 13+ years.

Now for your sewer line, they sell inside expanding plugs at your big box stores. Just ask the person in the plumbing section for help.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

Not a problem.

Test plug -- looks like a big rubber cork with a wing nut sticking off one end. $3.00. For a sink drain, you probably want a 1-1/4" plug.

Reply to
Father Haskell

It appears to me the sink is being totally removed so there would be no future need for water there. Of course it is not 100% clear that is what the OP intends so your suggestion certainly would be mine if there was any likelihood of putting a sink or other water user there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan