Capping Water Lines

Hi I need to get remove a sink and am not to sure on how to cap the pipes off. The supply lines are copper pipes. I know there are caps for them but if i put the cap on and solder it will it be stong enough to not blow off from the pressure of the water? As to the drain is there a cap that I can use that will keep sewer gas from getting in to the room?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Instead of capping the copper, install shutoff valves (stops) which use compression fittings. No soldering, plus you have shutoffs for next time. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/angle.html
A wet rag stuffed in the drain is sufficient. For a more permanent solution, get a Fernco Quick Cap:
http://www.fernco.com/QC.asp
Jim
Super,
Yes the copper caps will withstand the pressure if you are a competent solderer. I've never capped off a drain pipe but it's not hard to get a gas tight seal. I think they use rubber caps attached with hose clamps.
Dave M.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes to both. How to do it and what to use depends on the particular situation. I suggest that if you are questioning this, that you should not be doing your own soldering.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On 9 Jan 2007 15:00:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

IMHO,
For the cut water lines, I think you're missing an opportunity to put in some valves. As for the caps, I have capped water lines and they've lasted 13+ years.
Now for your sewer line, they sell inside expanding plugs at your big box stores. Just ask the person in the plumbing section for help.
Good luck,
tom @ www.ringtone-makers.com
Tom The Great wrote:

It appears to me the sink is being totally removed so there would be no future need for water there. Of course it is not 100% clear that is what the OP intends so your suggestion certainly would be mine if there was any likelihood of putting a sink or other water user there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not a problem.

Test plug -- looks like a big rubber cork with a wing nut sticking off one end. $3.00. For a sink drain, you probably want a 1-1/4" plug.