Capacitor died in my AC Unit

A breaker tripped yesterday which goes to the AC unit. I reset it and it was working last night and this morning. This afternoon when I got home from work, it was tripped again. I reset it and it tripped back again.. I tried two more times and the AC unit finally cut on. I looked out the back door and smoke was coming from the unit!!!.. I flipped the breaker off.. and when I took the panel off the unit.. the capacitor was smoking and of the three connections.. one was black and melted..
Its simple to replace it.. if I find another.. Is this a situation where I should replace it.. or does it sound like another problem?
I appreciate any suggestions
All the words on the unit are faded except the word Goodman.
Here is the info off the capacitor: Dielektrol Capacitor 97F5368 010000AFC 89-27Z112 242808-30 9457-5400 CAPACITOR, 35 MFD, 440VAC, CAN, FILM COMPOSITION, 6% TOLERANCE
I looked on the internet for another one but I only came up with one site that carried it.. and they had a 25 qty order limit??
Its simple to replace it.. if I find another.. Is this a situation where I should replace it.. or does it sound like another problem?
The problem was probably the burnt connection. Capacitors just simply fail sometimes. Fix the connection and replace the capacitor. if something else is wrong the capacitor was a cheap test! Try a local motor shop, or HVAC company for a new cap. Greg
Thanks Telstra and Greg. Your advice is very much appreciated.
I've had same exact problem before on a roof unit. Fan wouldn't spin and when I traced power back from it, the capacitor was dead. I bridged it out for a second and the fan spun right up. Pulled the breaker, pulled the capacitor, took it to the local HVAC supply, got a new one for $8, swapped it in and it worked fine for 2 more summers until I replaced it when remodeling.
Give it a try - very low risk. Just keep an eye on it in case something else caused the capacitor to fry. And pull the unit's breaker when working on it to be safe.
Mike
r1013 wrote:

Good post: Clear, concise, considerate. KUDOS. More people should have your attitude.
I've had same exact problem before on a roof unit. Fan wouldn't spin and when I traced power back from it, the capacitor was dead. I bridged it out for a second and the fan spun right up. Pulled the breaker, pulled the capacitor, took it to the local HVAC supply, got a new one for $8, swapped it in and it worked fine for 2 more summers until I replaced it when remodeling.
Give it a try - very low risk. Just keep an eye on it in case something else caused the capacitor to fry. And pull the unit's breaker when working on it to be safe.
Mike
r1013 wrote:

Oscar,
As you said, you cannot diagnose over the internet.....either way. To assume the compressor is shot or there is some other major problem is pretentious. Yes, it would be better to have someone come out and check the system before the part is replaced. It would also be a good idea to make sure that is the right size capazitor for the compressor. However, all that said, there is a 95% chance replacing the capacitor will fix the problem. As long as the OP is willing to take that 5% chance he will blow something, it is his unit and his money.
Stretch
Bring the cap to a local repair shop; they'll have replacements laying around.
[...]
Better be sure to repair the problem that caused the capacitor to blow in the first place before putting in a new one. The OP was lucky it was just the capacitor that blew--it could have been a lot worse...

Yeah, you said that already, Oscar. You also ignored other poster's who advised, correctly, that the most likely culprit is the capacitor itself. It's POSSIBLE there is another problem, yes, but it's not that expensive, nor that hard, to start with the cap, which, 99 of 100 times, is the culprit, especially when it's equipment that lives outdoors. HOW to tell if something else had gone bad or some things to check out or where to get them checked, etc etc would make a good post; yours is simply sour grapes and ego. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
PopS
[...]

The Compressor is PSC Permanent split capacitor The Capacitor being connected between the Start and Run stator windings. The capacitor is sized for power factor correction and starting. A second capacitor is connected to the condenser fan motor. The burnt out capacitor indicates a fault in the stator windings of either the compressor or condenser fan motor
Call a pro. Find one at www.goodmanmfg.com