Cantilevered tile countertop

SWMBO wants a cantilevered tile countertop in the master bath, approx 6 feet long, 24-25 inches wide, 1-1/2 inches thick. This countertop will be the "vanity," under a mirrored wall & medicine cabinet. The countertop will contain a single standard bathroom porcelain washbasin. It will be attached to two walls on one short side (the left edge) and one long side (the back edge).
Aside from the necessary plumbing connections to the washbasin (that we'll conceal with something), she wants the countertop to "float" in midair, with no visible supports, brackets, legs or any other device holding the countertop up.
I've been able to find cantilever hardware such as that shown here:
http://www.rakks.com/products/counter.html or here: http://www.ambase.com/index.htm
But I note that these supports are visible under the countertop, which is not what we're after.
Anyone got a source for INVISIBLE cantilever countertop hardware or mounting methods that assume minimal damage to finished sheetrock over 2x4 stud frame construction?
-Frank
--
(email: change out to in)

Frank J Warner wrote:

Bet you're going to have to use something like the EH flush-mount. It's completely hidden from view (the vertical leg) plus offers the max support by being screwed into the side of the stud. Build the countertop with a "skirt" (maybe 6" down) that will help hide.
What's the objection to ripping out the drywall on a project of this magnitude?
Rather than attempting to conceal the plumbing, consider leaving it deliberately exposed.
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I always appreciate and value your advice.
The EH Flush-mount looks like the best choice so far. I was hoping to avoid ripping out the drywall because it's new and seems such a waste to redo it. The cantilever idea came along after the drywall guys left.
I suppose we could leave the plumbing exposed. Any idea where we could find brushed nickel P-traps, supply lines, etc?
-Frank
chibiabos wrote:

All the decorative finishes are readily available. Here's one: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/decorative_p_traps.html
Jim

make a torsion box. mount it by attaching 2x4s inside the wall sticking out, and inserted into slots in the box.

I like that idea. Gives a thicker, beefier-looking countertop, too. Worth considering. Thanks, Chuck.
-Frank
--
(email: change out to in)

they don't have to be that thick. probably 1" would do you.
also called floating shelves: http://ronhazelton.com/html/507a.html

I've done this with steel rods, driven into undersized holes in the studs and the counter slid on to them via holes bored in the underlay. I've done both undersized holes in the counter and epoxied rods, both seem to work. Two 3/4" plywood sheets with matching routed grooves sufficed for the epoxied rods, I had no access to the boring machine I used for the non-epoxied one.
Note that I did not tile the counter (laminate) and it had no sink, so you may want to do some tests.
Jeff