Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

Page 1 of 3
I have an old Canon SD1000 Power Shot (Digital Elph) camera that I really love, and have used much. Now I am having a unique problem with its USB connection to my W7 PC. I use that to upload its pics to my PC, but now every time I plug it up, it immediately shuts the camera down (off) and sometimes the PC too (which could corrupt the PC OS I'm thinking). The same cord is used with an adapter to charge the camera, and that seems to work fine. This has started out of the blue, and seems to do this every time.
I can still upload pics from the camera by removing its SD card and mounting same in the PC.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem with PC USB connection from a device like my camera? I sure haven't. Yes, I have tried other USB ports on my PC.
Thanks
Confused
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:39:46 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

1st thing I would try is a new cord, because there are different contacts for charging and data transfer.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 03:23:47 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

I thought of that. Two things - I had two cords that 'fit' - both did same thing. I had one of the cords hand-labelled to id it - so I am sure it is the one I have always used before.
I was really quite shocked that this happened. I have used USB cords much before with cell phone and other device. Never experienced this problem. Scary.
Thanks
Confused
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 6:35:55 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

You'll need to try it on another PC...
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 04:59:14 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

That's a good thought
Thanks
I'll get back to U
Confused
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 04:59:14 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

Strange......
I tried it on a second W7 PC I have, and it worked just fine - no problems. I tried to make it fail by jiggling the two cable ends and by switching USB ports.
Then, take this -
I re-tried all this on yesterday's PC and it worked just fine too. Go figure. I could not make things fail - especially the immediate shut down which I was really worried about.
So - thanks for your responses. I'll watch this and hope it doesn't happen again. I can't take it at my age.
Confused
On 03/20/2015 07:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

I've occasionally had similar problems so make it a practice to /only/ use the card in a card reader and never use the camera to PC USB connection.

Don't rule out defective USB ports. I've lost one of three on my netbook and both front ports on my desktop box. Mobo mfrs are not shy about saving $$ by using really cheap mounted USB connectors. I now use a USB hub to save the computer port connectors from overuse.
nb

Well I certainly can use a reader I have from now on.
Thanks guys
On 3/20/2015 7:39 AM, notbob wrote:

This. It's not at all uncommon to have formerly-reliable USB ports suddenly go wonky. Most often they simply fail to recognize the device, but they can be cranky in other ways, too.

Yeh but....
I am concerned now about the connection on my Galaxy tablet. If in fact the connector on my camera is the culprit, and I think it is, I can get by by uploading the pics from the memory card in the camera by physically placing that card into the SC card reader on my PC. Not too much work and very infrequent anyway.
BUT the cord/connector on the Galaxy is another matter. Heck I am regularly charging my Galaxy with it. Plus connecting my Galaxy to my PC. If the tablet connector goes South, then I will have to get it repaired, else my tablet is out of commission. I have no idea what a repair would cost, but I fear it would not be trivial.
Thanks for responses.
Confused
On 3/26/2015 4:25 AM, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:
[Big Snip to remove possible trolling]

If your USB on the Galaxy goes south you get it repaired or you junk it. End of discussion. Were you thinking maybe a prayer vigil or seance?
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 07:29:09 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Good grief.
You are right of course.
I wasn;t looking for a reply. I was just expressing a fear. Cya in next life.
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:35:27 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

"Thanks for responses" and "Confused" is probably why you got responses...
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 4:25:58 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

Phones, tablets, and laptops get charged constantly...they're design is key to their longevity. Try not to worry...;^)
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 05:25:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

"magnetic" charge connector - so I bought the mag-charger for it so charging doe not damage the data plug.
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:19:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wonder if there is anything similar for my Galaxy?
On 3/27/2015 4:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Blech.com wrote:

There is
Google is your friend - seek and ye shall find
Charge only/no data
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 06:57:54 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Is this what you are talking about ?
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/magnetic+charging+connector.html
It is for a Xperia Z3 Z1 Z2 Z Ultra L39H L50W XL39H
I couldn't find a magneic adapter for a Galaxy Tab4. I can't even imagine how such a thing would work.
Thanks
Alan
On 3/28/2015 8:11 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Blech.com wrote:

Ah, you never specified what device you had. Samsung Galaxy refers to more than just their tablets.
I have looked at the 3rd party cases/accessories which permit charging the unit by induction. Briefly considered getting one for my smart phone but the cost was more than I cared to spend. I wasn't that concerned (and I'm still not) with messing up the USB port but I found the ability to just lay the phone down on something similar to a mouse pad to charge it was appealing (but not THAT appealing<g>)
They work by replacing the battery with one that supports charging by inductance or, in the case of some of the earlier models of the Galaxy Tab by plugging in (semi-permanently) a charging dongle to the Tab and then laying the dongle on the charging pad (dumb idea IMO, sort of a "look at the neat but impractical trick I can do with my Tab<g>)