Cannot remove old shower head from pipe

I want to replace my old shower head with a new hand-held shower head.
The problem is, the old shower head won't come off. I've tried using a wrench and turning counterclockwise, but it won't budge. I tried WD-40 too. I'm afraid to put all my weight to force it, because it might cause a leak in the pipe inside the wall or something.
There's old pipe tape on the fitting where the shower head is, and it seems to have become green with corrosion.
Any ideas how I can remove the old shower head?
-- -- Steven L. snipped-for-privacy@earthlinkNOSPAM.net Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

You may have more success removing the pipe that comes out of the wall complete with showerhead and fitting a replacement pipe with the attachment of your choice. If this doesn't work, it may be more of a project. Accessing the plumbing on the other side might be necessary to do a tidy repair. Proceed carefully, get a real penetrant (like Kroil), which WD-40 isn't, and good luck.
Joe

You might try heating the shower head with a propane torch, wrap a cold wet towel around the pipe going to the shower head, that will expand the shower head and keep the pipe from expanding as much,. Also try striking the wrench that is on the shower head, the impact may break it loose while a steady pressure may not break it free.

Use heat...Got a propane torch and know how to use it ???? If so heat it up if it isn't plastic.... Mine was soldered on (1966 ranch)..Had to cut a hole in the other side of the wall in the bedroom to modernize the set up...Patching the wall was no biggie as it is what I do for a living but not hard to do...HTH....
Steven L. wrote:

Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster might work better. The local auto parts store would be a good source for either. Another trick is to use two hammers. Put the heavier one against one side of the pipe. Whack the other side with the smaller one a few times. Do this in several spots if you can. Did you try to loosen then tighten the fitting? Sometimes the back and forth motion helps. Would it be possible to cut the outer fitting where the two mate? Cut parallel to the direction of the pipe and just through the outer one. That would let it expand and screw off. You might have to dress up the threads of the remaining piece. A hacksaw works for that.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:58:41 +0000, "Steven L."

Squirt some Liquid Wrench in there, give it a few taps, then try it again. Wrap the outside nut with a strip of hot rag for 5 minutes before trying again. Avoid damage to the shower arm threads, else you may be replacing that too.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:58:41 +0000, "Steven L."

Turn the pipe. It's not likely to break.

Do you have "hard" water? You might try some CLR.

What is CLR?
Thanks!
David

This is the common name for household cleaners that purport to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Thanks!
David
Steven L. wrote:

Try tightening slightly first.
--

dadiOH

DON'T BURN ANYTHING !

This sometimes works with a straight-thread...but tapered? And yes, two Stillsons!

add heat, like from a propane torch.

I said that back on Dec 26th.
On 12/26/2009 01:58 PM, Steven L. wrote:

One to hold the pipe coming out of the wall so you don't break it and the other to twist off the show head. It WILL come off.

Yeah........Like one poster said. Use 2 pipe wrenchs and get a set of balls. Or, give the wrenches to your wife, maybe she is strong enough. :-)
Hank