Cannot remove old shower head from pipe

I want to replace my old shower head with a new hand-held shower head.

The problem is, the old shower head won't come off. I've tried using a wrench and turning counterclockwise, but it won't budge. I tried WD-40 too. I'm afraid to put all my weight to force it, because it might cause a leak in the pipe inside the wall or something.

There's old pipe tape on the fitting where the shower head is, and it seems to have become green with corrosion.

Any ideas how I can remove the old shower head?

--

-- Steven L. snipped-for-privacy@earthlinkNOSPAM.net Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

Reply to
Steven L.

You may have more success removing the pipe that comes out of the wall complete with showerhead and fitting a replacement pipe with the attachment of your choice. If this doesn't work, it may be more of a project. Accessing the plumbing on the other side might be necessary to do a tidy repair. Proceed carefully, get a real penetrant (like Kroil), which WD-40 isn't, and good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Use heat...Got a propane torch and know how to use it ???? If so heat it up if it isn't plastic.... Mine was soldered on (1966 ranch)..Had to cut a hole in the other side of the wall in the bedroom to modernize the set up...Patching the wall was no biggie as it is what I do for a living but not hard to do...HTH....

Reply to
benick

You might try heating the shower head with a propane torch, wrap a cold wet towel around the pipe going to the shower head, that will expand the shower head and keep the pipe from expanding as much,. Also try striking the wrench that is on the shower head, the impact may break it loose while a steady pressure may not break it free.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster might work better. The local auto parts store would be a good source for either. Another trick is to use two hammers. Put the heavier one against one side of the pipe. Whack the other side with the smaller one a few times. Do this in several spots if you can. Did you try to loosen then tighten the fitting? Sometimes the back and forth motion helps. Would it be possible to cut the outer fitting where the two mate? Cut parallel to the direction of the pipe and just through the outer one. That would let it expand and screw off. You might have to dress up the threads of the remaining piece. A hacksaw works for that.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Squirt some Liquid Wrench in there, give it a few taps, then try it again. Wrap the outside nut with a strip of hot rag for 5 minutes before trying again. Avoid damage to the shower arm threads, else you may be replacing that too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Turn the pipe. It's not likely to break.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Do you have "hard" water? You might try some CLR.

Reply to
Tomas

Try tightening slightly first.

Reply to
dadiOH

Never mind the hammers and weasel piss. You need two (2) pipe wrenches. One to hold the pipe coming out of the wall so you don't break it and the other to twist off the show head. It WILL come off.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Didja try HEATING the female part of the coupling first with a torch ? DON'T BURN ANYTHING !

Reply to
Rudy

Yeah........Like one poster said. Use 2 pipe wrenchs and get a set of balls. Or, give the wrenches to your wife, maybe she is strong enough. :-)

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

This sometimes works with a straight-thread...but tapered? And yes, two Stillsons!

Reply to
Bob Villa

add heat, like from a propane torch.

Reply to
hallerb

I said that back on Dec 26th.

Reply to
hrhofmann

What is CLR?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

This is the common name for household cleaners that purport to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

replying to Hustlin' Hank, PeterRollison wrote: Or you could come over and do it Superman! Sorry! No dis respect, but...Don't you think we tried that!!

Reply to
PeterRollison