Cang I gang two Westinghouse single pole circuit breakers?

Can anyone advise? I wish to protect the input at a Westinghouse 230/115 volt sub panel/box which can accommodate 10 breakers, through a 30 amp DP breaker. It will be wired from a from a 30 amp breaker in the Square D main house panel about 40 feet away. Minimum 10 AWG IIRC. Can I 'gang' two single pole 30 amp Westinghouse Quicklag - P type breakers so that they become a DP 'input' breaker to this panel by joining through existing/original holes in the 'handles'. If not will buy proper 30 amp DP breaker to fit. Would appreciate any input comments or advice. TIA

40
breakers
Probly find tie bars designed just for this purpose if you look around a bit.
--

SVL

40
breakers
This is done all of the time. But it is an violation of the newer electrical codes. You can have one side to trip and the other to be hot. My old pool pump was a perfect example. One side would trip and then other would still be hot. Happened a lot until I replaced the wiring to the pool. There was an low grade short in the conduit which had rusted and no longer carried the ground current back to the panel. I replaced the breakers with an 2 pole because the trip is internal and common to both poles. Off was indeed off then.
SQLT is correct. Code requires the double pole to be tied. In a pinch, old timers would tie the two breaker handles together (a hole in each handle was provided) using a nail or wire.
But, be safe. Spend the extra $20 and buy the correct breaker.
--
Zyp
"SQLit" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message
Zypher wrote:

Horse manure!
What is the deal with people just suggesting that others throw away their hard-earned money in senseless fits of "safe" or "just for..." or "go ahead anyway..."
What a total crock of shit!
ORIGINAL POSTER: You are correct! The two breakers CAN BE tied together using the holes at the end of the handle and a piece of stiff wire or nail, trimmed to the right length and secured in place. Spend your $20 on something you NEED or WANT, not at the advice of people like this.
--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.