candle types

Page 2 of 2

Sacrilege using votive candles for illumination I say...absolute sacrilege...
Dear Father Darwin, Bless me Father, it has been far too long since my last confessional. I'm so sorry, I had no idea they were religious.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thank you for supporting China's child labor, & thank you for shopping Walmart.

Yet another bed-wetting liberal heard from....
Actually, Walgreens, not Walmart. Perhaps not much difference?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did you take a nap before lighting the candle? "There's no wick for the rested."
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:04:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The highest quality candles are beeswax. The dollar stores and Walmart carry the cheapest. Personally, it is not worth the time, mess, and fire risk to remelt candles.
"Phisherman" wrote

Actually it is worth it. In the type I make, about 1/3 of the wax ends up being remade into new candles. I dont have beeswax (costs too much). Agreed the cheap airfluffed walmart stuff isnt worth the price.
So, the other poster doesn't take the time and bother to remelt. And you do, that's fine.
I've found some of the bigger candles from Dollar Tree, when I cut them with a knife, they look like a porous air fluff kind of construction.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It's a fun and useful little hobby. Thats all, but when the lights went out for 5 days in 2000 (Hurricane Bonnie, not noted for much except the Virginia Beach hit just as it sped back to Cat 1 and only for power line damage). We dont have a generator.
Had candles galore and enough to play backgammon and such or read a book at night. Got a coleman oil lamp to suppliment it.

Thats exactly what they are, and with additives so they neither burn well, nor remelt well. I don't know if they have any special safety factors with that type, but I do not bother with them after the first time someone gifted me with one.
I rather enjoy remelting. Thanks for the head up, the DT ones don't remelt. Since candles are dangerous, my backup lighting is battery "closet lights" from walmrt. And I do have a couple wick style oil lamps.
There is internet legend going around about using mineral spirits paint thinner in oil lamps. I fell for this, and lucky didn't have any trouble. Some lamps, the tank heats up. The fire goes critical, and some lamps have literally exploded when they over heat. So, use ultra pure, or keroesene. I've tried "baby oil" and that works fine, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The only way we leave a burning candle unattended is in a metal candle holder in the wash basin of our windowless bathroom, during the very occasional power outages here. Have never had a problem; but, if the candle were to fall out of the holder, burn down and possibly set fire to a puddle of wax etc. it would be confined to the metal wash basin. There is a large mirror above our wash basin vanity which helps to reflect light up and around the bathroom. Votive candles by their very nature are designed to burn weakly for a long time, not give light. Although many of them on say an altar can be quite dramatic. We had a short failure today which our local power company restored with their usual efficiency. So out for only about 20 minutes. Thought it was high winds. But some idiot had run into a power pole in broad daylight!
I think you're right, about the candle within the metal basin. Safety is a good thing. You also need to consider if other things (papers or cloth) can get bumped, and land onto the candle and light up.
One of these days, I'll remelt some of those votives. I've got some commercially made wick material that might work better.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I suppose that would depend upon *why* you are remelting the candles. If it's only for the purpose of emergency lighting, then yes, it's probably not worthwhile. But candlemaking as a hobby can be an art form--there is no limit to what you can make other than the creativity of the individual.
I used to teach arts and crafts and we did candlemaking once a week. Never had an incident.
What I've done when I want to read by a candle is to use aluminum foil and try to fashion a crude spherical or parabolic reflector out of it.
Real wrinkly, yes, and the shape is crude indeed, but it works! Doubles or triples the amount of light that hits the page.
David
I do believe you've reinvented the pie pan.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus