candle types

Page 1 of 2
A couple weeks ago, I caught a close out sale, and bought a couple "votive" candles. About 1.5 inch diameter, and 2 inch tall. I lit one last night, put it in a glass container, with a wall hanger.
An hour or so later, the flame is so small, as to be nearly non existant. I turned off all the lights, and there is not enough light to be useful. The wall glows a bit, but no light to the room.
Looks like the wick is very narrow. To the point of being useless.
Do different votive candles come with different wicks? Did I get a bad batch? Should I remelt them, and use larger wick?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't believe votive candles are intented to give much light or to be lighted for a long time...weren't they originally the candles lit for purposes of prayer in church?
If you want light, an Aladdin lamp with a reflector might give about the most you can get from a flame...been a while, but they sure are handy during hurricane season.
An amazing number of fires I read about are from candles being unattended.

True, votive candles are for accenting, or for scenting, but not for light, kind of like the little white lights on bushes and things used in landscaping.
Cheri
Cheri
Thanks, Cheri Cheri. I hadn't known that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Even any 'ol cheap oil lamp would be better than a candle. For about $12 you can get one that looks pretty good and comes with a wall bracket. Even better might be to get a solar-powered LED lantern. For that matter I use some white LED solar malibu lights indoors and they put out more light than a small candle.

Ulysses wrote:

Hi, If the candle is origin unknown, I won't bother with it. Could be lead ridden Chinese. My candles sit on an inch thich metal tray, can't knock off, won't cause burn(fire).
In my back hall, I've got a metal 9 x 9 cake pan, screwed to the wall. Same idea, won't knock over, and very unlikely to cause a fire.
However, with votive candles, they don't put out enough light to be useful. Likely to get remelted one of these days.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Hi, If the candle is origin unknown, I won't bother with it. Could be lead ridden Chinese. My candles sit on an inch thich metal tray, can't knock off, won't cause burn(fire).
where does one get an "inch thick metal tray",and how much does it weigh?
(or would that be an "inch DEEP metal tray"?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Ulysses" wrote

I missed most of this thread but I make candles as a home hobby which is also useful come storm season here. Note: Most of this below is not for homes with young children or curious cats.
Votives by design (along with tea lights which come in little metal cups) give off minimal light. Tea lights especially do not burn long and I have little use for them.
Votives in a strong (will not melt) glass can be useful as night lights when you are without power. Set them in the container then set the container in a small bakeable dish like a cassolet (just incase the container breaks which can happen). I have an old pyrex measuring cup where all the measures came off a long time ago, that gets used here. It sits in a bakeable cassolet. (I may be spelling it wrong, a cassolet is a small cassarole dish, more common to french cookery and makes a single serving).
Pillar candles with a thick wick (I use braided square cored wicks) which are 6 inches tall and 3 wide (may be double wicked meaning 2 of them about 1 inch apart) are best for light if not using an oil lamp. Always set these in a dish capable of holding the entire candle worth of melted wax and set that on something heat resistant (such as a dinner plate). I have several smallish colorful stone bowls and other bakeable but pretty dishes for this.
Taper candles are ok too but set the holder on a plate big enough to hold all the drips.
Many of those cute 'against the wall' sconches are actually too close to the wall to be used without fire hazard. I am told 6 inches away is the minimum and it sounds right. This may vary with an oil lamp as some types are meant to be mounted and have a flame resistant heat backer on the wall side which also reflects light back to the room. Even the oil lamp types I am thinking of, give a 4-5 inch from the wall clearance.
I've never had an oil lamp leak, but we keep them on a plate too just incase (or in a cassarole dish).

are
the
applied.
when
in
measures
dish,
1
this.
the
minimum
meant
which
thinking
incase
It occured to me after I posted that tea lights might be the kind of candles that can float on water in a suitable dish. The would help with the fire hazard part. It would be pretty easy to make some floating candles too.

"Ulysses" wrote

Sometimes the wax using in the little metal tea lights is floatable but mostly thats a special light weight wax. They are pretty, fairly firesafe, and a mess to clean up with the melted wax gets into the bowl (grin, dont dispair, they are fun and it's not that hard to dewax the bowl).
To dewax the bowl, use a 'crappy' old pot that you'll keep just to melt wax in. Place the bowl in there, fill with water to above the bowl, and turn on low. The wax will float to the top. Be careful to lift the bowl on something (a few canning rings works for me, used ones I have to replace anyways) or it may well crack.
To remelt wax, put the wax in a an old coffee tin if you dont have a real wax pot (coffee tin works fine, may rust over time and discolor the wax) then place that in your big 'crappy, just for melting wax' pot. Stove again on LOW.
The only fire safety aspect of melting wax is it has to be done in a water bath double boiler (crappy pot with a can inside works) and must be done on LOW. You want a *slow* cooler melt. Do not get frustrated and turn it up. The water in the 'crappy pot' should be just barely bubbling with tiny ones, if any at all.
Never try to dewax anything in the sink or dishwasher. That wax will cling to the drains and make an expensive fix as normal 'draino' type things will not work. Also, dont pour candles over the sink or set in the sink to cool as the mold may leak and your drain will fill with wax. Dont empty the wax boiling 'crappy' pot in the sink either.
Dump the water outside. It's gonna have a little wax in it but this is harmless to plants and animals (organic almost though most are petroleum related paraffins).
I also do my pouring out on the picnic table in the back yard. Any 'spills' there will be harmless. I have some old 'crappy' pie tins that rusted out which I use to put the molds in just incase the seal gives way and they leak. A friend puts crushed ice in her's so any leaks stop really fast. Other people have been known to use sand but I dont have sandy soil here.
Grin, I don't want to get too OT here so that's most of what I have to say unless you have any specific questions?
clipped

My mom used to make candles by pouring melted wax over chopped ice. My brother and I decided to experiment and reverse the procedure by dropping chopped ice into hot, melted wax on the kitchen stove. NOT a good idea....we withdrew when it started boiling violently, just before it exploded all over the kitchen wall and ceiling :o) We were curious but cute :o)
Can you rewrite that in a positive voice, so we will know what to do? All you wrote, is a big list of prohibitions. The first part is fine, but the "don't" get pretty thick after that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Grin, sorry. The origional person seemed unsure and didnt want him to clog his pipes up. Below is a little better! Got it down to just one set and best to leave that one in there as new to the hobby folks do mess that one up all the time.

On another list, someone else said just exactly that. Looks like for light, I'll have to get some different wicks, and remelt these.
And you're right, they are dangerous. I do have a couple oil lamps for backup light. Figure they are safer, wall brackets and hang from the ceiling and such.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You probably got the dollar donation candles. Churches sell bigger ones for more money ;)
Oh, gosh, stop scaring me. These were four fer a buck at close outs, at Walgreens. Buck a candle <shudder>.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus