Canada not about to break up

Today, Monday, April 7th, an election was held in the Province of Quebec to elect a new government.

For the past 18 months, a political party called the "Parti Quebecois" (or "Quebec Party") has governed the Province with a minority government. The goals of the Parti Quebecois is first to work toward establishing Quebec as a soverign nation in it's own right, and secondly to preserve, promote and protect the French language in the Province of Quebec.

The leader of the Parti Quebecois, Madamme Pauline Marois, believed that by holding an election now, she would win a clear majority of the seats in the Quebec National Assembly, and therefore have a majority government. That would allow her to push through some controversial changes that were in the works. One of those controversial changes was the banning of overtly religious symbols or manner of dress for anyone who was paid out of the taxes paid by Quebecers. So, teachers, nurses and public servants would be fired if they refused to stop wearing a muslim burka or hajab (head scarf). Also, doctors would be fired if they refused to stop wearing a turban while at work. Similarily, the wearing of large crucifixes or Stars of David as medallions on neck laces or as earings or broaches would equally be banned.

Well, politics is fickel, and the election didn't go Pauline's way. Not only did the Parti Quebecois fall from having 54 seats in the Quebec National Assembly down to only 30 seats, Pauline was beaten by a Liberal candidate in her own riding. There are 126 seats in the Quebec National Assembly, so a party has to win at least 63 seats to have a majority government.

Well, the result of all this is that Quebec has a new Liberal government which is against Quebec separation and therefore won't be holding a referendum on whether or not Quebec should separate from Canada. And, Pauline Marois has announced that she's stepping down as the leader of the Parti Quebecois after spending 38 years of her life in Quebec provincial politics.

So, as it stands today, Canada won't be splitting up into two or three separate countries all bordering the USA to it's north for at least 4 more years. And, I'm glad the way things turned out because Canada breaking up into pieces will only throw Canada's economy into a tail spin. No one wants to invest in a country that isn't politically stable, which is much of the reason why so many African countries are pi$$ poor. Besides, people here in western Canada are getting fed up with Quebec. They seem to have the notion that they can hold a referendum whenever they please. If they win, then Quebec separates. If they lose, then they hold another referendum. If and when Quebec finally wins a referendum to separate, does that win erase the previous

3 or 4 referendums that they lost? Don't those previous referendums showing that most Quebecers want to stay in Canada count for anything?
Reply to
nestork

I've found most of the people of Quebec to be as nice and as welcoming as anywhere in the world. But there seems to be a small group of arrogant Frenchies that refuse to speak English and are unpleasant to be around. The small minority gives the rest of the providence a bad reputation.

Glad things turned out for the best.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Beats me, I'm not Canadian and the US solved its secessionist problem in th

19th century. However, I do know that you can cut down a giant oak tree with a pen knife if you chip away at it long enough.
Reply to
dadiOH

"There is a fine and subtle distinction between being forgivably and unforgivably French"

--cMAD on abt-c

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You'll know you're breaking up when Putin sends agitators in that create riots demanding Quebec become part of Russia and he says he's worried about "protecting" you.

Reply to
trader_4

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:59:03 +0200, nestork wrote in

That sounds like a good idea to me. Then the rest of Canada could invade the sovereign nation of Quebec and turn them into a defeated sovereign nation.

Reply to
CRNG

One day, two Canadian friends were walking along the beach and happened upon the famous "genie in a bottle". Upon rubbing the bottle, the Genie pops out and says.."Since both of you were rubbing the bottle and let me free, I will grant each one of you one wish!"

Now, being from Quebec, the first one tells the Genie that he wants the province of Quebec separated and that a big wall a mile high should be built around it. "Poof!" and the guy disappears and his wish granted.

"What is your wish?" the Genie asks the second Canadian.

After a few seconds the guy says "Can you fill that wall with water?"

Reply to
ChairMan

That basically happened at the battle of the Plains of Abraham.

Reply to
clare

but only when they are spoken to.

Reply to
Pico Rico

nestork wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

Wrong newsgroup -- should have been posted to alt.politics.who.cares

Reply to
Doug Miller