Can you transport a Washing machine on its side?

We need a new washing machine and can get good deals at the Sears scratch and dent. I mean it could be really dented and who cares, its in the basement.

But it seems that new washing machines may have some sort of drum lock that you remove after instalation. If it has one, well if there is lock for upright shipping what about no lock transported on it side.

Oh and of course the reason is we can transport it on its side ways but not upright in my wife Vue.

Reply to
Cliff H

I have never heard that you couldn't move a washer on it's side. The issue would be further "scratching and denting" it.

Reply to
gfretwell

It just seems like the drums are I don't know more flexible in their mounts these days. Also this would be a top load.

And getting into the basement is going to scratch it up more than transporting it.

Reply to
Cliff H

Call the manufacturer and ask them.

Depending on how good a deal it is, you might be able to rent a trailer, like an landscaping trailer, for a few hours at a fairly cheap rate.

I once rented a landscaping trailer for something like $30 to bring home a "last year's model" lawn tractor. We got over $250 off the list price, so the $30 didn't hurt too much.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You *might* damage the suspension mechanism or tub if you transport it on its side. How lucky do you feel?

Doesn't McLowes Depot offer free delivery?

Reply to
surfin' savant

+1

It'll say clearly on the packing/in the installation guide...

Reply to
dpb

Why would McLowes Depot deliver a washer bought at Sears for free?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As stated, call the manufacturer and ask, to be sure. .....And ask them why.

I've always understood, though I've never known for sure, there's some sort of thick oil reservoir (or something), built in, and if turned to the side for a long period, this reservoir oil will screw up, somehow. Turning it on the side for a short time, is somewhat okay, but once upright, again, you have to let the oil settle again, in its "proper place", before using the machine... allow a day or so before use. For long term side position, it takes a lot longer for the oil to settle/return properly, hence allow a longer period before use.

I've understood this applies to refrigerators, also.

Again, I don't know if this is so, for sure. That's the way it was explaind to me long ago, as to why you don't turn units on their sides. Maybe this applied to much older machines, not today's machines.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I don''t know that there isn't an issue with moving washers on their sides, but the problem you are thinking about has to do with the oil reservoir inside the sealed cooling system of a refrigerator. Washers tend not to have those...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Some washing machines have a transmission or gearcase with a vent that will leak lubricant when not upright. Often if tipped on the "correct" side the vent will not leak, but may leak when tipped over from the opposite direction. Ask the manufacturer or a service technician, or take a look at a parts diagram.

Reply to
Larry W

They may not deliver scratch & dent...at least not for free.

I was in HD today and noticed a floor model washer and dryer set on sale for 25% off. In the fine print it said that "free delivery" and "haul away" do not apply to clearance items.

Delivery & disposal charges will eat into the savings experienced by buying scratch & dent or clearance items.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

An 8'x5' UHaul trailer is only $19/day. I've been renting one on Saturday and only have to return it by Monday to get the one day rate (the UHaul store is closed on Sunday - but I normally drop it off late Saturday night).

Reply to
krw

quoted text -

I don't recall the exact price for the landscaping trailer rental (it was under $30, might even have been $19 plus tax) but it had the advantage of the dropdown gate making it real easy to roll the riding mower up onto it and tie it down.

Since then, I've built ramps and have hauled the mower in the 5 x 8 trailer that I own. At the time of the mower purchase my trailer had a slide out shelf system installed and it wasn't worth the cost of the rental to dismantle it just to move the mower from Sear's to my son's house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The open UHaul trailers are the same price as the closed (same size, 5'x8'), so there really isn't any advantage to them. Rain is also an issue. We're in the process of moving (for the next two or three months) about 80 miles, so the UHaul comes in handy. It's cheap enough (though the gas for my truck costs about 3x the rental).

I made ramps for my truck out of aluminum "ramp ends" and 2x8x8s, but it's a

4WD and the bed is pretty high for 8' ramps. I found that they're perfect for the UHaul trailer. The opening is only a foot off the ground so they work well. I loaded my Unisaw by myself last weekend. I bought a lawn tractor at Sears Saturday and will pick it up next Saturday and drive it to the new house (no Sears stores in the area).
Reply to
krw