Can you sue a contractor who splits?

Page 2 of 2
yes debbie you can sue him or turn him In for stealing by deciet since he has never finished the work.i'am In business myself and I dont see how guys like that get away with It.It gives reputiable companys like myself a black eye.
WoN ereH wrote:

You let HIM use YOUR credit card?

It's unfortunate that he's had personal problems, but it's even more unfortunate that he's not meeting the business committments he made to you. Have an attorney send him a letter. I suspect you are being too nice.

happens.
complete the

lot of

Go ahead and sue him. I'm sure you'll get a judgement against the "contractor". I'm more sure that you'll die before you collect a dime. I'm kinda thinking this guy isn't sitting on a big pile of money. There is a HUGE difference between winning a small claims case and collecting. Especially when it human vs human, and especially for contractor stuff. Some of these types don't have any assets to get. There is a limit on the maximum amount you can collect in small claims court. Probably around $5K. Would that be enough to recompensate you? You let this guy use YOUR credit card? Man, do you need to get wise. Do you even have a contract (legally executed, on paper) with this person? If you don't have a contract in writing, suing will be all the more tough. How will you be able to prove anything? Good luck, you're gonna need it. Dave
FWIW, you'll probably have to pay as much to get someone else to finish the work as you originally expected to pay for the whole job. A contractor picking up a half finished job will have to assume liability for the quality and performance of the entire finished job, and will charge accordingly to cover himself for doing that.
Consider it "a learning experience" and what it cost you the "tuition".
I refuse to hire contractors who want to get paid before completing small to medium sized jobs. I'm willing to pay a bit more more to hire a firm with enough resources to finance the job to completion. So far, I've always been able to find someone reputable and financially stable enough to accept those terms.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame