Can you say fire hazard?

Not only can you still buy breakers but you can get a 50A breaker for your FPE.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Do you think they would have a U.L. stamp on them and being sold if they were fire hazards?
I presume the original FPE had UL stamps. Just like Thalidomide was government approved for a while.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not in the United States, it wasn't. Not until 1998, when it was approved as a treatment for leprosy under strict controls.

Whatever problems FPE had in the past, has nothing to do with the current manufacturers of their replacement breakers.
RBM wrote:

AFAIK the _don't_ have UL stamp but the manufacturer states they've been tested to UL and applicable ANSI Standards.
A search of the UL database didn't find Unique Breakers but I won't say that's totally conclusive but suspicious that they've not actually ante'd up the $$ for the UL listing. Whether that's 'cuz they think they'd fail or just don't see it as cost-effective is no way to know...
But, they're not the old FPE and there's no reason a properly designed and built breaker couldn't fit a FPE panel that would pass the UL listing requirements. Unfortunately for them, FPE chose to try to circumvent rather than fix... :(
Limp Arbor wrote:

So? All these have in common w/ the original FPE is they fit the panels.
<http://uniquebreakers.com/federal-pacific-electric.html
There's an outfit in Canada whose name slips me at the moment also making replacements.
UL didn't delist the FPE panel; and not every FPE breaker, only the _specific_ ones. That of course was enough to break FPE.

RBM wrote:

Ah, yeah, thanks...that be them.
A bunch of FPE breakers can be found by Google shopping search. I wonder if those are the old, defective ones? Or newer ones which work? Is it worth the chance?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why don't you just follow the link and see for yourself?
(Or, even easier, look at the link I posted...)