Can you say fire hazard?

Not only can you still buy breakers but you can get a 50A breaker for your FPE.

Limp Arbor

Do you think they would have a U.L. stamp on them and being sold if they were fire hazards?

Reply to
RBM

So? All these have in common w/ the original FPE is they fit the panels.

There's an outfit in Canada whose name slips me at the moment also making replacements.

UL didn't delist the FPE panel; and not every FPE breaker, only the _specific_ ones. That of course was enough to break FPE.

--

Reply to
dpb

A bunch of FPE breakers can be found by Google shopping search. I wonder if those are the old, defective ones? Or newer ones which work? Is it worth the chance?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I presume the original FPE had UL stamps. Just like Thalidomide was government approved for a while.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

AFAIK the _don't_ have UL stamp but the manufacturer states they've been tested to UL and applicable ANSI Standards.

A search of the UL database didn't find Unique Breakers but I won't say that's totally conclusive but suspicious that they've not actually ante'd up the $$ for the UL listing. Whether that's 'cuz they think they'd fail or just don't see it as cost-effective is no way to know...

But, they're not the old FPE and there's no reason a properly designed and built breaker couldn't fit a FPE panel that would pass the UL listing requirements. Unfortunately for them, FPE chose to try to circumvent rather than fix... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Not in the United States, it wasn't. Not until 1998, when it was approved as a treatment for leprosy under strict controls.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Whatever problems FPE had in the past, has nothing to do with the current manufacturers of their replacement breakers.

Reply to
RBM

Why don't you just follow the link and see for yourself?

(Or, even easier, look at the link I posted...)

Reply to
dpb

Ah, yeah, thanks...that be them.

--