Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

Yeah, Nick was way off but I come up with less than what you got. An error in my calculations?

Using Nick's 1.08 gallons for a 4 hour run at 1.6KW

That is, .27 gallons per hour at $2.25 would be 60.75 cents for 1.6KW.

That would be 38 cents for a KW hour.

$899 depreciated over 4000 hours = 22.5 cents.

Total = 60.5 cents per hour + oil changes. (and everything works according to specification).

Hmm, looks like a little problem of a slipped decimal point using that number.

Reply to
Rich256

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Yes, Faith in Newton. Not in you.

Reply to
Rich256

This is funny, nicks mythical magical 5.9 cent kwh. and he has no numbers

Reply to
m Ransley

He says you gotta have faith!! Obviously never took a physics course where you have to prove your work - just an answer is not adequate even if it is correct.

Reply to
Rich256

You've seen 'em twice now.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Nick. Nobody has seen anything but your dreaming of your "Dream machine " making juice at 5.9c kwh

Reply to
m Ransley

You have seen my calculations twice showing that it would be at least 60 cent per kwh but you never showed how you arrived at your numbers.

Reply to
Rich256

Wrong. For the third time:

Article 106218 of alt.energy.homepower: From: snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower Subject: Re: Honda eu 2000 Generator Date: 7 Dec 2005 07:44:20 -0500 Organization: Villanova University

With a 125K Btu/gallon high heating value and a 10,000 hour engine lifetime, Honda EU2000 cogen looks less economical: if we burn 1.08 gallons of gasoline with a fuel value of 135K Btu in 4 hours at the 1600 W rated load and make

6.4 kWh (21.8K Btu) of electricity and 113.2K Btu of heat (another 33.2 kWh, ie 39.6 kWh total) and the heat replaces electric resistance and the Honda costs $899 (mayberrys.com) and wear adds $0.09/h, ie 5.6 cents/kWh, this kind of cogen only seems to make sense at an off-road gas price of $1.75/gallon if electricity costs more than 100x$1.75/39.6+5.6 = 10.7 cents/kWh.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Contractors ran a gas masonry saw in our basement while we were out. I have no idea how long it was running for, possibly on and off most of the day. They would have had, at most, a small window open and a direct-to-the-outdoors door open. When we got home there was a distinct smell of gas and fumes in the kitchen, directly above where they were working, that took a day or two to dissipate, and of course a stronger smell in the basement. It must have been miserable while they were there. Of course that would have been a two-stroke, I presume.

Just a data point for your consideration.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Ah, so you are referring to a post in a completely different thread on a different subject and including the heat as being useful.

It would have helped if you had made a reference.

We don't want the heat, only the 6.4 kWh of electricty.

Reply to
Rich256

Wasting 84% of the fuel's heating value is your choice.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

At 3600 rpm full operating load 1600w the EU 2000 does not last 10000 hrs. The EU is load RPM dependant. At under 700w output it turns near 1800 rpm giving it a average 10000 hr life span. People using the gen conservativly averaging 3- 800 watts experiance up to 15000 hrs, but not at full rated load of 3600 rpm 1600 watts. At extreme low load on constant operation of 900 rpm unit life can be easily a minimum of 50000 hrs. Use-Load-Rpm are your criteria to determine unit life.

$0.059c kwh is still your dream. If it were true Nobody would consider a utility co. Everyone , every county would be off grid. Im .125 kwh soon going to .135kwh. If I could do it for $0.059cent kwh with an EU, I would be rich selling power to everyone and anyone

Reply to
m Ransley

Did you look at how he comes up with the 5.9c? What I see that he is saying is that the Generator puts out 6.4 kWH in 4 hours which can be converted to

21.8K BTU. The generator itself puts out 113.2 kWH of heat. It takes 33.2 kWH of electricity to create that much heat. Therefore the generator is putting out the equivalent of 6.4 + 33.2 = 39.6 kWh. It's 100% efficient (creating heat but not electricity)!! So even using his low price of $1.75 a gallon, the electricity still costs at least 31.5c per kWH.
Reply to
Rich256

We do it all the time with all our vehicles and power plants. You kept saying you were going to produce electricity at that price.

Heat is hardly something we want when the outside temperature is in the

90s!! Read the Subject line. He is not asking for heat.
Reply to
Rich256

Would you have any evidencde fot this article of faith? :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pine

A BAD choice :-)

Wrong.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Wow I had no idea they could last even 1/4 as long as those numbers you're throwing out there. 50K Hrs at idle speed still seems like a heck of a ot for a small engine.

Reply to
dean

Nick wake the F up, 10000 hrs at 3600 rpm full load throttle is like taking a honda car running it on a race track at apx 130 mph , motors dont last at high rpm full load. At that load and rpm the Honda car would last if you are real real lucky 1000 hrs, do you thing the EU has some "magic" motor Honda wont put in a car, Get it long life users run light loads, lower rpm. And your electric costs for an EU, totaly bull crap, unrealistic stupidity.

Reply to
m Ransley

While you're not likely to see your basement gallon of gasoline completely vaporized, there is a substantial difference between the behaviour/safety of various fuels.

The vapor pressure of an open can of gasoline is perfectly capable of producing an explosive mixture in an unvented/enclosed space all by itself. Fuel oil won't. Nor will gasoline sitting in a car on a driveway.

A natural gas supply in a basement, of course _can_ produce an explosive mixture in an enclosed space. As can propane. But it's rather better secured than a random can of gasoline.

Reply to
Chris Lewis