Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

Page 1 of 6
I only want to use it for a few minutes to run the well pump. I want to keep it in the basement. I'm assuming that if I open the windows and start it (assuming its a new generator), I will not be in any major danger. My basement is 70' x 30' x 10' tall (i.e. huge) and has 4 windows, 2 at each end.
Alternatively I have to trudge outside with it through deep snow (usually we get blackouts after such a thing), plonk it down and run the cable through the window, which I do not want to do.
TIA!
Dean
can you vent the exhaust out a window? I mean with some real redneck-like plumbing and the tractor stack and everything.
I'm only half-kidding.
If at all possible I'd get some flex-metal tubing and endeavor to lead as much of the exhaust out a window as I could.. Also if you have a chimney opening in your basement then use that it would have an up draft.
On 29 Dec 2005 15:25:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Service garages do thsi sort of thing all the time when they work on cars. In fact most have a hole in the door or wall where a steel flex pipe carries the exhaust outside. Of course they only run the cars for a short time.
You can do it if your wife isn't home, otherwise, put a fan in the window, pointing out. P.S. Be sure to open the window, and turn the fan on.

What a bone head reply. Don't you realize how much heat he'll be losing?

What a bone head reply. Maybe he lives in Panama or Arizona. Maybe he does not care about heat loss compared to getting water out of the basement.

What a bone head reply. The original poster already explained that he gets very heavy snowfall. And he's not trying to get water out of the basement. He's trying to operate his well pump.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
wrote in message

My reply was a totally asinine response to a totally stupid question. The OP should just shoot himself if he's that determined to die. That way, at least his family would survive and the house wouldn't be as likely to burn down.

I'd much rather you build (or buy, ready made) a small storage box where you can store and run the generator outside of the house. Regardless of what precautions you take, and how careful you are, things like running a gasoline engine in a basement always seem to end up as a sad news story, where everyone says, "What an idiot!"
Commodore Joe Redcloud
running an ICE inside a structure where people live is way too dangerous - build you a small shed outside and punch a hole through the wall for the wire connection. Several people lost their lives after Katrina due to unvented gasoline generators.
I look for small gas leaks with a match - that is a safe practice compared to running an ICE inside a building where people live - that is my opinion.
Sure why not, people use turkey deep fryers, charcoal bbq grills all the time inside. They sometimes die, but so what, start a fire on the floor to keep warm while you are at it.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:28:10 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

OOps. What's wrong with turkey dep fryers?

Nothing, if used properly. Part of that is outside and well away from any structure. Every year, there are news reports of some idiot who burned down his house using a turkey fryer in a garage or next to a house. The danger is that the oil can easily catch fire and flash over.
There may be different types of turkey fryers. The ones popular around here run on propane and can easily overheat the oil.

What happens is, dumb-asses put water or ice-encrusted turkeys in the hot oil, which bursts into steam. The tiny little steam explosion atomized little puffs of oil, which promptly burst into flames, and suddenly your turkey fryer is doing double-duty as a rocket engine.
YOu can do the same trick by dumping a tablespoon of water into a frypan while frying bacon, if you feel like dying painfully.
Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not going to be on when I'm not there. Its not going to run when I'm upstairs. Its just going to sit there most of the year doing nothing, and get used maybe once a year for 5 minutes, while I stand there and watch it. What's the big deal?
The fan mentioned above is a good idea, but it will have to be run by the generator:)
Make sure you open the window. LOL Seriously though, you may want to consider the suggestions above to pipe the exhaust outside. Even if you don't think so now, there will come a time when you might want to run it longer, especially if you connect other things to the generator.

dean wrote:

The CO is one problem.
The gasoline inside the house is another.
and it will be VERY loud, and dark and you will be under a stressfull situation and won't be able to think straight.
Sounds like a bad combination.
Mark

Sorry, but I have to ask. Your original question to the group was "Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?" Even a casual read of that original post and this second one indicate you feel it's not dangerous. So why ask at all? Ignore the hundreds of warnings given in so many ways by so many experts after so many tragedies are reported. Turn that sucker on. Unbelievable.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:28:44 -0800, dean wrote:

No big deal. Go do it, you dumb fucking halfwit. The rest of us will laugh at you on the evening news.
Linux Registered User #327951