Can you "roll up" formica?

I need to buy a 4'x8' sheet of generic "Formica" from Home Depot. Trouble is, I have no way to get it home, except my wife's Subaru Impreza wagon. This material is somewhat flexible, and I'm wondering if I could roll it cross wise into a tube of about 3' diameter by 4' long without it cracking. This would fit into the hatch of the Subaru. Alternatively, maybe I could bend it into a "U" shape lengthwise & get it in there without cracking. Anyone know if this is possible? If I try this, does it matter which side is on the outside of the curve? Seems like it should be the top surface.

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" wrote in news:17WdnSlnA4bu4W3bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

From this website

Let me add a few tips I learned about working with Formica laminate.

Formica laminate comes in a lot of different sheet sizes. Home Depot and Lowes seem to stock only 4 x 8 sheets, and a small number of colors. By going to the local distributor, instead of those retail stores, I was able to get 3 x 10 sheets that avoided having to seam the material. The distributor is oriented towards the trade, but is happy to sell to do- it-yourself'ers. The one in my area also had a lot more colors and styles in stock, and better prices.

It wasn't obvious to me, until I saw the crew at the loading dock of the Formica distributor's warehouse, that you can roll up a 10-foot sheet of Formica on about a 2-foot diameter and tape the outside that way for transport. That makes it much easier and more secure to move around.

Reply to
docmill

Yes, they have a device for rolling them up even.

Steve Barker LT

Doc-Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the site you mentioned. Sounds like rolling up a sheet is ok, I thought I'd seen it done but wanted to be sure. In my case, I'm buying the material to use as the surface for an outfeed table I plan to make for my cabinet saw, so CHEAP comes before LOOKS! ;-) Though actually, I thought $45 for a generic white 4x8 at HD was a bit more than I would have guessed. I'll check the local phone book (Seattle area) for a distributor also!

Reply to
Dan

Heck, yeah -- it rolls up just fine, and even smaller than 3' diameter. Two feet diameter might be pushing things a little bit, but 30 inches is easy.

Don't try that. Formica has a grain, like wood. It doesn't roll nearly as well lengthwise as it does crosswise.

You want the good side on the inside of the roll, so it doesn't get scratched during transport.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Dan wrote: ...

For cheap if looks aren't a concern, look for the local salvage freight or similar outlets, not the name-line distributors. There's a lot of bargains to be found in those places as ends, etc., particularly if you can stand a seam or two -- which shouldn't be a problem simply for an outfeed table...

--

Reply to
dpb

As others have stated you can roll it up; one thing to watch out for is how you secure it. At the supply house I worked at many years ago we would roll it and cover the edge of the sheet with a folded piece of cardboard before securing it with twine. Those that omitted the cardboard ruined the sheet because the tension of the formica against the twine would be enough for the twine to split the sheet at the edge. We always rolled it finished side in to protect the surface during transport.

Reply to
Eric9822

Great tips Eric thanks! I'll probably use tape in several places instead of twine, & I'll roll it finished side in.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

When I bought formica from a supplier, it was in a roll about 2' in diameter. The leading edge had cardboard to protect it and the roll was held together with twine.

Reply to
franz frippl

I built a box like they have at menards for rolling formica. It's just a box with a 24" diameter hole. And a slot to feed the formica into. As you feed the formica, it rolls it up and holds it till I wrap it with cling wrap tape. It's easy enough to make.

Reply to
roy